Talk

Advanced search

Finding a decent cleaner!

(9 Posts)
trinity0097 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:19:02

How do you find decent cleaners when you are new to an area? Have tried care.com but the people I liked never replied to my messages.

Just had two women in from an agency, and yes whilst the house is much cleaner than it was before they did it the attention to detail is poor, e.g. Still dusty in places, cushions not moved to vacuum pet hair from under them, a bit of litter on the floor still and didn't even empty any of the bins! Surely bin emptying is a standard task that I should expect a cleaner to do without thinking? Think I won't be asking them to come back.

I had such a great cleaner before, she treated our house like hers and just used her initiative to prioritise things.

HawkingsMead Thu 28-Jul-16 16:26:48

Ask neighbours- post on a local internet board, join a local FB group - ours has people asking all the time for recommendations.

I find asking neighbours to be the best over the years.

HawkingsMead Thu 28-Jul-16 16:27:57

And expect to go through a few before you find a good one and when you find a good one, hold on to them! smile

datingbarb Thu 28-Jul-16 16:29:26

Where are you based?

HawkingsMead Thu 28-Jul-16 16:40:50

Mumsnet Local!

trinity0097 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:53:24

Bagshot.

Have emailed the agency and asked them to try again and not send these ones again.

I had a fantastic cleaning Hawkings, but we have just moved and we are too far away for her to come now, as she did our house after her regular job and we were on the way home for her, it would be a 80min round trip for her now!

datingbarb Thu 28-Jul-16 17:06:08

Ahh your a bit to far for me (30 mins)

Have you tried joining the local gossip girl page on Facebook or similar these are usually good places for asking for recommendations, you will prob get loads of responses but just go for the ones that are proper self employed/business that can provide references etc rather than just any random. Also good to ask them to just come and do a trial clean before you commit

trinity0097 Thu 28-Jul-16 17:23:31

Agency were very apologetic and will get back in touch tomorrow morning with an alternative. I also pointed out that I had told them that I had two cats, so they would send me people who could tolerate cats, to find that one of the ladies doesn't like animals and is scared of them!

Onwards and upwards - they must have other decent cleaners on their books as they seem like an established company.

trinity0097 Thu 04-Aug-16 15:46:52

An update! New cleaner from the agency is half-way through cleaning for the first time - sooooooooo much better than the ones they sent last week, I feel much happier now about kicking up a fuss and refusing them again and asking for someone better!

For example, they can't have done anything to the shower screen when they cleaned, but it is now perfectly clear and free of years worth of built up limescale from the previous owners. She has cleaned below the water line in the toilet, emptied bins etc.... All kind of normal stuff I would expect a cleaner to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now