Anyone bought a washing machine that doesnt do what it says it can

(41 Posts)
Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 13:07:58

I bought a Beko WI1483 at the end of 2014, I thought I would be able to use it but building work began and it wasn't taken out of its packaging and plumbed in until December 2015.

I bought it because of its 8kg load capacity.

It is driving me insane.

It will only take 1 king size duvet, any more and it judders and shakes. So it means to do the bedding I need to do around 6/7 washer loads just for bedding.

Yesterday was the final straw. I loaded it with 1 bath towel, a bath matt and 2 t.shirts. It shook so much it jumped out of the line of cupboards and it is so heavy I cannot get it to go back.

If I am unable to do 5 washer loads per day I end up at the launderette once per week to catch up on the washing.
I am going completely crazy

Anyone else have this problem?

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 13:10:59

Phoned Currys and Beko. Currys transferred me to Beko and Beko just kept saying it was an 8kg washing machine and that was that.

KP86 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:20:06

One KS duvet for an 8kg machine sounds right.

As for the other stuff, any chance it's been overloaded and is now unbalanced somewhere and needs a service to reset it before it works properly again?

Does your instruction book tell you approximately how much 8kg of washing is? Ours does (5kg machine) and it's surprisingly little.

e1y1 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:25:22

washer weight ratings are a bit of a farce really, as you have to take volume into consideration as well.

example 8kg weight of clothes could be 4 pairs jeans, 10 tshirts 5 pairs knickers etc etc, and this will most likely fit in machine.

8kg weight of king duvets may be 4 of them, but 4 wont fit in at once as volume is too great

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 13:50:21

Only 1 king size duvet per load

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 16:02:48

If I had a smaller machine would I not be able to do the beds.

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 16:10:01

The advertising says it does 26 shirts in one load. I cant get more than 5 shirts in. Then it bangs about like I have over loaded the machine.

This is not my first washing machine. My last one which only held 6kg was much bigger I did about 14 washer loads per week. ATM I can do 35-40 loads per week.

Surely there is something wrong

RoganJosh Tue 26-Jul-16 16:12:53

Duvet or duvet cover?
Ours is a cheap hot point 7kg and will happily take a king duvet cover, sheet, pillow cases and a single bed's bedding too.
Is it just the vibrating that's the problem? If so are the legs set up not straight?

bibbitybobbityyhat Tue 26-Jul-16 16:15:39

Its clearly something to do with the installation, not the size of the drum!

Stormtreader Tue 26-Jul-16 16:16:49

Did the transit bolts definitely get removed?

Stormtreader Tue 26-Jul-16 16:17:25

Did the transit bolts definitely get removed?

VeryPunny Tue 26-Jul-16 16:22:54

You may be able to fit in more than one KS duvet without any problems, but because they are just two large items, the machine has trouble balancing them out to spin evenly. It's very difficult to evenly distribute two sopping wet KS duvets around a drum than the equivalent weight of wet pants, IYSWIM.

Our Bosch is the same - there is a magic number of towels it requires in order to spin at all. Otherwise it just gives up and pretends its finished and you arrive to a machine full of sopping wet towels. Lowering the spin speed helps, but I could have saved my money and not paid out for a 1400rpm spin machine in that case...

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 16:26:04

Just 1 duvet cover.

How does the installation make the drum size bigger. I am talking about actually putting more stuff in the machine and physically not being able to. Never mind trying to shut the door and setting it off.
The machine sits perfectly level

There are reviews saying about the banging it seems to be something this machine does.

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 16:30:41

I would love to have the problem with sopping wet towels (plural). Again I can only put one bath towel in at a time. Granted we have big towels.

Thinking it might save me money and my sanity to just give up and go to the launderette

43percentburnt Tue 26-Jul-16 16:35:37

We have a zanussi washing machine after the Bosch one died. It holds either 11kg or 10kg (can't remember which) has a 30 minute cycle at 30 degrees and is really quiet. You can wash a double duvet in it. I put 4 bath mats in at once and they were fine. It has a 1400 spin too.

It was under £300.

P1nkP0ppy Tue 26-Jul-16 16:37:35

Mine's the cheapest Hotpoint, 8kgs load and happily takes king size duvet cover, bottom sheet, pillow cases and a single duvet cover/bottom sheet/pillowcases or three big bath sheets plus hand towels.
If it's a mixed load then sometimes it needs to redistribute the load before spinning. Yours struggling with a single bath sheet is ridiculous op.

bibbitybobbityyhat Tue 26-Jul-16 16:41:08

Sorry op, but I just don't believe you when you say you can only get one king size duvet cover in the drum.

Take a picture.

wowfudge Tue 26-Jul-16 16:43:06

Your posts are not very clear OP as you were calling a duvet cover a duvet - two very different things in terms of volume. I don't understand how you are managing to get so little in the machine tbh. Is your bath towel the world's biggest?? Can you post a picture of the drum with the door open?

We had a 7kg Beko machine for years and it was great. We sold it in the end. Sounds as though yours is faulty. Have the transit bolts definitely been removed? With the bolts still in, the machine cannot spin properly and will move violently.

Gatekeeper Tue 26-Jul-16 16:44:20

26 shirts???? Twaddle..I have an 8 kg LG washer and I could NOT fit 26 #shirts inside. I've has my machine 9 years and it sometimes gets rattled if the load is too light. It shows its displeasure by juddering and rattling around and won't complete the cycle. I can fit a double duvet inside- 4.5 tog-but that's all

RavioliOnToast Tue 26-Jul-16 16:46:15

35-40 loads of washing a week?! shockshockshock

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 16:55:14

3 bath towels, no way can you get a 4th in and no way would I set it off with 2. It would be seriously overloaded

bibbitybobbityyhat Tue 26-Jul-16 17:16:37

That looks fine. You're just making work for yourself imo. Who installed it and are you sure they did it correctly?

BluePitchFork Tue 26-Jul-16 17:24:19

check the transport bolts are removed.
check that it's absolutely level (there should be a screwing leg extender on one foot)
I have an 8kg mashine and 2 bath towels is all it takes (they get really heavy)

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 26-Jul-16 17:33:49

If this looks fine then can I ask how many loads of washing do others do in a week. Given this is just one washer load.

The transport bolts have been removed and it os dead level

BluePitchFork Tue 26-Jul-16 17:39:49

how do you get to 30-40 loads a week? shock
are you running a b&b?
family of 4 here, about 5 loads a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now