Talk

Advanced search

white tops of rugby socks turned grey - is there a way to get them white again?

(8 Posts)
redhat Thu 21-Jul-16 12:41:28

I have just rounded up 9 rugby socks (goodness knows where the tenth has disappeared to!). They're all perfectly fine apart from the fact that the white tops have gone grey. The main part of the sock is black. I resent buying new ones when they will also be grey within a few weeks. Is there a way to revive the white? Stick the tops in bleach possibly?

mariemason Fri 22-Jul-16 07:38:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PotteringAlong Fri 22-Jul-16 07:43:18

They will be covered in mud 3 seconds after getting on the rugby pitch anyway so I wouldn't give it a second thought.

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 07:50:26

That's true pottering! I don't usually worry about it but they do look grim next to the rest of the kit.

I will try the clothes whitener marie but I think they're past that stage.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 22-Jul-16 07:54:13

Line dry in the sun to bleach them?

rabbit123 Fri 22-Jul-16 08:18:30

Are you washing with liquid or liquitabs?

Try switching to bio or non-bio powder. Liquid doesn't have any bleaching agents in it so it can make whites & light colours go dull. A good powder and a cottons 60 wash (not quick wash) should soon sort it out.

redhat Fri 22-Jul-16 08:25:29

Ah that's worth knowing about the powder rabbit. I had no idea there were no bleaching agents in the liquids. I do line dry most of the time Scary since we have a glass roof over our terrance and so even when it's threatening to rain most things can still be drying outside.

I soaked the tops in napisan last night and it made no difference whatsoever though so I suspect this batch is beyond repair. I'll still make DS2 wear them since he isn't changing school. I'll buy DS1 one new pair (only because he's going into the senior school) and will wash them with powder going forwards and maybe a colour catcher thing for the first few washes.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 22-Jul-16 11:30:19

I think you could try leaving the white bits soaking in the vanish gold powder/water mix could be a good way forward.

I live a life of rugby/cricket woe of attempting to whiten the seemingly un-whitenable. Of all the things I've tried, the vanish gold whitening stuff seems the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now