Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used Dylon successfully?

(11 Posts)
overthehillandroundthemountain Thu 21-Jul-16 11:11:16

I have a sun-faded armchair in dark velvet, and pink taffeta curtains (nice!). Would like some new colour - was thinking dark navy or grey for the curtains.

Does Dylon work? I used it once to dye some other curtains orange from sunshine yellow and they look great, but this was many years ago!

SpeakNoWords Thu 21-Jul-16 11:17:21

I used it to dye some plain muslins and it worked really well. One thing I know you need to look out for is where the stitching thread doesn't take the dye and it shows through in the original colour. Depends I suppose on how visible the stitching is.

chunkymum1 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:26:20

I've used it to dye cotton curtains and various dressing up clothes (eg where DD has decided that she wants to be a purple fairy, not a pink one). The dye takes well on cotton but not so well on some (I think mainly manmade) fabrics. This means my curtains have some undyed stitching at the top (you'd need to be very tall and look closely to notice) and some of the dressing up stuff I've dyed has ended up a bit patchy. Not sure how taffeta would work but I seem to recall there is some guidance on the pack about what fabrics it will work on. Also make sure you use enough dye if you want it to be a dark colour.

overthehillandroundthemountain Thu 21-Jul-16 14:44:19

Thank you, both! Oh yes, I had that with the stitching on the orange curtains - it stayed yellow, but is ok.

There is no outward facing stitching on these curtains, so might be worth a try. Although the threads of the taffeta might be a bit weird. Hmm food for thought! Off to the homewares shop, I think...

Thanks for helping! Yes, need to buy a couple of packs for darker shades on bigger areas...

NotCitrus Thu 21-Jul-16 15:07:21

If it's a natural fabric (cotton, muslin, linen, viscose) it works, but not on polyester etc.
And follow the advice on the pack about how many kg it will do, and don't over-fill your machine. So taffeta might go a bit odd but a contrasting metallic thread might be quite funky.

amarmai Fri 22-Jul-16 20:14:23

Dylon is great,op. The taffeta curtains may be sun faded and the dye job cd end up streaky. Let us know how they turn out, please.

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 22-Jul-16 20:16:36

Yes definitely and it's so easy. I've dyed a few pairs of faded jeans black and have been thrilled with the results.

RowenaDahl Mon 25-Jul-16 08:21:50

I dye my jeans. They go from looking like they need chucking out to looking like new. Dyed three pairs in the machine last time. Great stuff!

andypandy55 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:38:48

I have dyed loose covers from orange to dark blue and I always refresh 2/3 pairs of linen trousers (black), using one dye. They come up as new.

andypandy55 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:41:11

I have dyed loose covers from orange to dark blue and I always refresh 2/3 pairs of linen trousers (black), using one dye. They come up as new.

cexuwaleozbu Tue 26-Jul-16 21:53:21

Like others I've used it successfully on cotton fabric but any synthetic bits don't take the dye. I prefer the non-machine version because the machine version can dye subsequent laundry. Works best with pale original colours aiming for very strong final colours. I doubt you'd be able to dye dark velvet. Also you need a big enough container to stir the fabric around completely submerged so can't do too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now