Aga ovens

(6 Posts)
AlizCo Tue 19-Jul-16 16:07:41

We're in the process of buying a new house which has a 2 year old electric Aga in the kitchen, powered by solar panels (so shouldn't create huge bills). I'd love to have an Aga (would have to learn how to use it) but wondering whether I can justify spending the extra £5.000 she wants for it. Any advice?

rabbit123 Wed 20-Jul-16 16:47:05

£5000? No way. My parents have one that heats the water too. There's definitely an artform to cooking on it & the Aga toast is beautiful, but they drink fuel and because you have to leave them on constantly, the kitchen is always like a Sauna. Great in winter but horrific in the summer. Keep the £5k and get yourself a nice oven. Infact for £5000, you could have a whole new kitchen

nextchapterplease Wed 20-Jul-16 23:24:02

Hi - disclaimer I don't have an aga - but if you think you would like one long term then I don't think the price is off kilter ( depending on size!). You can always ask for more info on purchase price etc or just do some eBay trawling but I would in your shoes certainly consider the ease of buying something already in situ and good working order etc.
We are buying a house with a Redfrye that the sellers are,taking and it will be a pain to decide what to buy in such a short timescale.

I thought modern Agas can be switched on and off - AIMS . But I have done no research yet.

seaviewplease Sat 23-Jul-16 05:12:08

Odd to ask you to pay for it I'd say as its a fitted part of the kitchen but there we are. It'll cost the seller to move it if you don't buy it.

Anyway, they are great to cook on, great for drying washing and keep the kitchen toasty warm in the winter. Some people turn them off in the summer when they have a separate conventional oven and hob. If this is not already there you are going to have to invest in something to fill the same gap the existing aga will leave.

whattodoforthebest2 Sat 23-Jul-16 12:40:23

I have an ancient aga in my kitchen and it's lovely and warm in the winter and roasting in the summer - I don't have an alternative hob to use! I suspect the sellers are hoping you'll buy it so they don't have to move it, so I'd make them an offer, perhaps £2.5k. It'll cost them to have it removed and they'll be restricted as to where they can fit/put it in their new place. There are lots of second hand ones for sale, so it might not be worth the hassle for them.

Cookbooklook Sat 23-Jul-16 14:39:55

I used to live in a Victorian house that had an aga and I was so happy to be shot of it when I moved.

I think they are fine if you have an alternative to cook on but the romantic vision of owning an aga is not all that's it cracked up to be. There are much nicer ovens out there. Do your homework a bit before you get sucked in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now