E-cloth mop - floor clean enough to eat off?

(7 Posts)
CheshireSplat Sat 16-Jul-16 22:24:35

I have a porous stone kitchen floor and have experimented with various ways to clean it. About every 2 years Every so often I scrub it with a scrubbing brush, but more usually it's an old fashioned mop and bucket. I've been reading about e-cloth mops and apparently you just use water, no kind of cleaner. Does this actually clean them (I would vacuum first, obviously)?

We have a old, hairy cat - could I apply the 3 second rule when DD(4) and DD(1) drop their food on the floor? Now, cos of the cat (she's new), any dropped food goes straight in the bin.

Not that I'm desperate to feed dropped food to my children, I'm just trying to understand how clean the e-cloth would actually get the floor.

WingsClipped Sat 16-Jul-16 23:14:38

The whole ecloth and water thing, I would be happy doing that for general dusting. For worktops and floors, I feel the ecloth is great for shifting things like cooking splatters, or any dried on dirt, but in terms of bacteria, I don't feel that water alone can shift it without use of any soap. Not as in full on bleach but at least a squirt of washing up liquid in very hot water (not particularly meaning for your type of flooring but just as an example that you don't need specific floor cleaning stuff or hardcore antibacterial stuff)

We use a flat microfibre mop with method floor cleaner about once a week. I'm not precious about bacteria and kids, I happily let the baby eat dropped food up off the floor way after the 3 hour second rule. We are a no shoes indoor type of family though and we don't have pets.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sat 16-Jul-16 23:19:44

It would do fuck all. Hope that helps!

Give your floor a good proper clean, look at LTP or HG or Lithofin products depending what you have down and then seal it.

That's a suggestion not an order smile

wowfudge Sun 17-Jul-16 01:10:11

With a stone floor you need to get it clean then seal it. I use an ecloth mop on the acres of amtico in our new house and it works brilliantly.

mariemason Mon 18-Jul-16 07:40:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CheshireSplat Mon 18-Jul-16 13:57:31

Thanks everyone, that confirms what I thinking.

The floor is sealed - I've managed that much!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 18-Jul-16 14:00:41

I use an E cloth on the bathrooms but use Method spray with it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now