how do you organise your paper work? Because this metal file box thing is DOING MY HEAD IN.

(8 Posts)
yoink Wed 13-Jul-16 21:45:37

It's one of these: BASTARD

The suspension files constantly fall out, don't slide properly and generally fuck up so I never ever want to deal with all our paper work shit.

We've had something like this: BASTARD too. All bouncy and just not big or good enough.

So please, particularly if your house is beautiful, minimalist and organised, tell me, how do you organise your paper work?

Oldisthenewblack Wed 13-Jul-16 22:56:35

I use an expanding box file. Not like the metal one you linked to, with the suspension files and bigger than the plasticky one. It closes with a latch and has a carry handle, and has labelled sections - though you could put stickers over their section headers if you wanted to do your own. I'll try find a link to a similar one and post. It's sturdy (had it eight years) and has plenty of room to stash a fair amount of paperwork.

Oldisthenewblack Wed 13-Jul-16 22:57:34

More like this, though this is not the one I have:

www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Expanding-Organiser-Documents-Foolscap/dp/B00TKF1LWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468447007&sr=8-2&keywords=expanding+box+file

faceymcfuckface Wed 13-Jul-16 23:01:24

I do almost everything by email so avoid paperwork. No bank statements, no bills, nothing, I scan everything else (minimal) and save it in a drive. I must have a few bits of paperwork (marriage certificate, can't think what else) and passports but that's it

So in essence just get rid of it all!

yoink Thu 14-Jul-16 10:55:12

thank you OITNB, that looks slightly less annoying. And yes fuckface, I should scan and bin!

HappyHeart87 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:04:21

I have an actual filing cabinet, which we painted and decoupaged (a la Pinterest) so it looks less utilitarian. I really like it. They're bonkers expensive new but we got a 4 drawer, full height one for £20 from a charity furniture project.

Arfarfanarf Thu 14-Jul-16 11:08:03

That thing looks next to useless.

I've got a proper filing cabinet. It lives in the back room/office/freezer room/emergency bedroom grin

I had a two drawer filing cabinet in my bedroom but it wasn't big enough so I got a 4 drawer lockable one for the back room.

It's very easy now to keep everything well organised

GrubbyWindows Fri 15-Jul-16 08:29:31

I used to have a lovely wooden vintage filing cabinet, but we ran out of room on the flat so got rid. I now have ordinary Manila folders on a shelf in a cupboard. They stand vertically side on ( as they were in the filing cabinet, but side on rather than front on) with a heavy bookend to stop them sliding over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now