Is the Miele Cat and Dog still the top recommended hoover on here?

(18 Posts)
Panicmode1 Wed 06-Jul-16 10:24:03

Mine has just died after 17 years and although I'd love a cordless vacuum I can't seem to find a Miele one. DH wants a cordless Dyson for some unfathomable reason (my parents have had several and I hate them), and as I do 99% of the hoovering, I think my choice holds more weight grin.

I do like the idea of a cordless, bagless vacuum cleaner but with four children and a very hairy golden retriever, I need a workhorse - so is the Miele still my best bet? We have (mostly) hard floors downstairs and carpet upstairs, and I've read Henrys are best on hard floors - but I don't want two hoovers!

attheendoftheday Wed 06-Jul-16 13:42:04

Can I jump on the bandwagon as I need to know this too? Hoover just died and we have many hairy pets.

rabbit123 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:16:18

If you have both carpets & hard floors, then yes either the Miele Cat & Dog or Henry Xtra is best. Both come with a turbo brush for carpets & suction only tool for hard floors, so you just change the nozzle rather than having 2 vacuums.
Henry's have bigger bags that take months to fill up, but they're a bit big & bulky. Miele is easier to store and lighter to lift

attheendoftheday Wed 06-Jul-16 18:12:51

Thank you!

ColintheCrow Wed 06-Jul-16 18:18:31

Henry or Hetty. Much better and bombproof pretty much.

YesYABU Wed 06-Jul-16 18:22:28

I have a George with turbo brush. He is great and bombproof (although quite large!) and has done nearly 10 years service so far.

I don't find my turbo brush that great though- it gives up quite easily (stops spinning) and gets very clogged with pet hair which slightly defeats the purpose of using it on carpet.

Zampa Wed 06-Jul-16 18:24:35

Due to a change in energy regulations back in 2014 the most powerful vacuum cleaners can no longer be sold. This includes the older Miele Cat & Dog. I'm not sure if the new version is comparable but I'm not looking forward to my own one dying.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Wed 06-Jul-16 18:39:03

Try the G-tech K9. It isn't perfect, but has quite a lot of good things about it, and is very good for picking up hair. (Drawback is difficulty getting into corners and edges)

ShatnersBassoon Wed 06-Jul-16 19:12:21

Henry and Hetty are not as good as the Miele C&D. I have the new C&D after having the old one for years, and there is no difference in suction. They've invented some sort of suction amplifier thing (confused) I think.

pinkiepink Wed 06-Jul-16 19:23:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HooseRice Wed 06-Jul-16 19:25:50

I have a Hetty and a Miele C&D.

The Miele kicks Hetty's arse.

Chapsy Wed 06-Jul-16 19:25:49

I have both. The Miele lives upstairs and deals with the carpets. The dyson stick cordless is downstairs and does the hard flooring and rugs. A great team

rabbit123 Wed 06-Jul-16 23:12:53

pinkiepink, they're 1200w here at the moment, which is the same that they've been in the US for years.

MrsSlocombesPussy Wed 06-Jul-16 23:48:10

We recently replaced our Cat and Dog with the newer, less powerful model and have noticed no difference. They must have improved the efficiency

monicaglenfield Thu 07-Jul-16 07:16:22

Hi,

I use to have Miele but mine died on me as well. I didn't bother replacing with another though as i wanted something better. I brought this one for and so much better then my Miele Vacuum cleaner. It comes with a variety of attachments and it's Bagless.

Hope this helps:-)

Panicmode1 Thu 07-Jul-16 12:55:05

Thanks everyone, good to know that the new C&D don't have a difference in suction.

Monica - that looks heavy - is it? And can I ask why is it so much better than the Miele?

SpecialStains Thu 07-Jul-16 14:28:52

I've got a Henry. It's too heavy and big, a pain to lug around the house and useless at getting cat hair. It is, however, everlasting (even though I want the damn thing to die so I can get something better!).

Don't get a Henry.

Panicmode1 Thu 07-Jul-16 18:40:25

Thanks for the tip SpecialStains grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now