Talk

Advanced search

Please talk some sense into me and help me to declutter!!

(16 Posts)
AmericanPastoral Thu 30-Jun-16 13:24:58

I'm going through things from my childhood, many of which I would like to keep but I have no space and no real need for these things. I am really struggling - for example, this globe- now out of date but I'd like to keep it. Please tell me why I should get rid of it. Thanks. smile

ijustwannadance Thu 30-Jun-16 13:28:00

Take photos of things as a reminder and allow yourself to keep only a couple of treasured pieces.

AmericanPastoral Thu 30-Jun-16 13:34:01

Thanks ijustwannadance.

tictactoad Thu 30-Jun-16 14:11:10

How long has it been since you last saw it and did you miss it in the meantime?

Photos are a great idea. If you can't bring yourself to take stuff to the dump, use a middleman such as a jumble sale who may benefit financially but will get rid of unsold stock without the emotional baggage.

Onlytimewilltell Thu 30-Jun-16 14:12:26

Lol, you've no space for it, no real need for it, and it's out if date!!!!!! 😉

RoganJosh Thu 30-Jun-16 14:13:20

What do you need the space for? Can you focus on the positive effect it will have on you ie how much better it will be when you have proper storage for baking equipment/winter coats etc?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 30-Jun-16 14:21:09

Make it into a lampshade?

Kind of retro/industrial cool??

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 30-Jun-16 14:24:27

Like this.

May I have the other half so I can make myself one??

AmericanPastoral Thu 30-Jun-16 14:37:48

Onlytimewilltell But of course in my warped mind it now has historical worth- how the map of the world was different when I was a child smile

Thanks tictac and Rogan - these are the things I need to hear and focus on!

KingJoffrey - great idea but of course now you have given me permission to put it in a corner and probably never be converted into a lamp. smile How would you cut it in half and manage to get such a clean edge?

LondonStill83 Thu 30-Jun-16 14:43:07

Oh! Pay me to come and help you!

I love a good declutter and am ruthless.

AmericanPastoral Thu 30-Jun-16 14:54:27

London But how would you convince me to get rid of the globe? smile

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 30-Jun-16 14:54:37

If you look closely it'll be in two halves when made then glued together.

Heat should unstick it. You could try a hairdryer.

GrubbyWindows Thu 30-Jun-16 14:59:24

Keep the globe if you love it. Get rid of the things you don't love and you'll have plenty of room for globes!

puddingisgood Fri 01-Jul-16 21:27:51

I had the very same globe OP! Think I have got rid of it now, but only recently. I too struggle with 'seeing the wood for the trees' when it comes to decluttering my stuff.

wobblywonderwoman Sat 02-Jul-16 09:43:07

Ah I get you. Ioved my globe as a child. Loved it.

But you will feel better. I used to hoard and now I send a black bag a week to the dump. I have empty kitchen pressed. Kallax cubes empty.

Its bliss.

House never gets too messy. I have a label maker and tons for everything. Batteries. All that within reach. Do it!

Get an old IKEA bag or black bag and try and fill it today

wobblywonderwoman Sat 02-Jul-16 09:45:40

kingjoff you are a genuis. That would be lovely in a childrens room or study

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now