Talk

Advanced search

To follow or not to follow... Washing powder instructions.

(8 Posts)
AuthorToBe Tue 28-Jun-16 13:20:43

We use Formil Biological washing powder and I honestly couldn't say exactly how much powder we use in each wash. I usually use the scoop from the Dettol Anti-Bac powder (which is a lot more cost effective than the liquid - we buy it from amazon) and put in a couple of those since we live in a soft water area. I've always been fairly happy with lidl washing powder that I haven't bothered looking around for a new kind.
But I was in Tesco the other day and read the box of washing tablets.

It turns out that they have (own brand) 48 tablets in a box which sounds quite good for £3odd. Then I looked closer and read that per 5kg wash your meant to use two tablets? Is that really necessary?

I'm always looking to save some more money and roughly buying tablets - if they are one tablet per wash would have been a lot cheaper.

So how much do you use?

Also does anyone think liquitabs are any good? We have one local shop and the only washing stuff at a reasonable price are liquitabs but I'm a bit sceptical.

Sorry abut the amount in here but when I get my mind stuck on something its hard to shake.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 28-Jun-16 13:26:32

I don't like liquitabs, I think they make the machine gungy. I buy tablets because powder makes a mess everywhere (apparently I am the only one in the household who can put it into the drawer and all over the counter and floor). I only use one tablet for an 8kg wash, it seems to clean just as well as two.

cavalo Tue 28-Jun-16 13:49:05

I'm in a soft water area. I use Ariel powder , probably about half of the recommended amount.
If you switch to liquid, you may want to read up on how to clean your machine (using powder means the machine is virtually self-cleaning).
Thanks for the tip on the dettol stuff, I use the liquid and didn't know the tub of powder was available.

cavalo Tue 28-Jun-16 13:50:42

I also put a bit of soda crystals (powder) in each wash - it's cheap in home bargains and I believe it makes your laundry powder go further.

lljkk Tue 28-Jun-16 13:56:02

5 kg is a lot of clothes, actually, I bet you're not putting in nearly that much in a single load (weigh while dry to see).

Because we are in a hard water area, I use soda crystals which reduces powder needed, and otherwise use the amount required for actual weight (usually just 2-2.5 kg in our 5kg drum).

AuthorToBe Tue 28-Jun-16 14:11:12

cavalo - I was the same with the Dettol. Used the liquid but was always looking for an own brand hoping it would be cheaper. Then one day saw online they had new powder (on offer) so got one. Buy it in bulk from amazon now since its cheaper per tub and I don't have to do a big shop to get it. Since using I have noticed that the drawer doesn't need to be cleaned as much so probably helps the machine too. I wouldn't buy liquid anyway. I don't feel like it does much use for our washing needs.

lljkk - Your right, I don't think we have a full wash ever, unless its bedding/duvets.

I'll defo look at soda crystals. How much soda would you use to how much powder?

rabbit123 Tue 28-Jun-16 15:48:01

It depends on how hard or soft the water is. I usually use Persil Bio powder and use about 60ml. A bit more if there's anything stained. But we have quite soft water here.

My friend in London was having to use over 100ml per wash. She's started adding 2 tablespoons of soda crystals to the wash and can now use a similar amount to what I use.

rabbit123 Tue 28-Jun-16 16:01:54

I'm not a fan of liquid or liquitabs. Only thing I use liquid for is woollens. I've found both make the machine smelly and moldy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now