Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning walk in shower doors

(29 Posts)
Ditsy4 Sat 25-Jun-16 05:01:08

I have tried lots of methods but can't get shiny, clear looking doors. It is a double door shower which doesn't fully clothes so part can't be cleaned where they now don't fully open.
I bought a new cloth for glass but still getting smears. It just looks grubby when visitors use the bathroom. Tried glass cleaners both spray and wipes and squeedgy which gives best results but still water / soap smears. The rest of the bathroom looks lovely and clean and I clean it at least twice a week, more if DC come home.
Any suggestions?
I have arthritis in both wrists so maybe not enough elbow grease.

Ditsy4 Sat 25-Jun-16 05:02:36

Oops close. Bit early in the morning!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 25-Jun-16 06:00:15

We have a giant walk in shower with glass doors which looks awful when it has water marks or smears. The only thing that works for me (and I tried a lot) is waitrose lime scale remover (gel or a spray though I prefer the gel).
Before I get out the shower I wipe this on the glass with a cloth. Open the bathroom window to get rid of steam. 5 mins later I rinse and squeegee. If it's still steamy in the bathroom you've squeegee'd too soon

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sat 25-Jun-16 06:03:29

Equal parts white vinegar and washing up liquid

Ditsy4 Sat 25-Jun-16 07:13:30

Ooh! Thanks replies already. I will try the vinegar and washing up liquid as I have that. I don't live anywhere a Waitrose but will look out for it when I go to DD.

paddlenorapaddle Sat 25-Jun-16 15:57:42

Method daily shower spray it's brilliant

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 16:00:18

Where do you get white vinegar? I've never found it in the supermarket

SavoyCabbage Sat 25-Jun-16 16:09:10

It's usually just in the vinegar section Stealth. On the bottom shelf as it's cheap and in big bottles.

tshirtsuntan Sat 25-Jun-16 16:09:45

You can get spray bottles of white vinegar in wilkos for a pound.

flushingfreda Sat 25-Jun-16 16:10:34

Best thing I have ever used (and I work in the cleaning industry ) is e cloths the set of two especially for shower screens. You wipe with one and buff with the other. There not cheap but you can get them on Amazon and worth it. The ones you want are a beige colour.

flushingfreda Sat 25-Jun-16 16:12:51

And just to add using the method shower spray after every use really stops the build up of dirt you spray it on and leave it.

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 25-Jun-16 17:09:24

Where can I buy method shower cleaner from?

biddleyboo Sat 25-Jun-16 17:18:50

Something to cut through the soap scum, and then I swear by my karcher vac. They are amazing for any flat surfaces and save so much time.

flushingfreda Sat 25-Jun-16 17:36:01

You can buy method shower spray from sainsburys it's £3.00

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 17:37:26

Method and an E cloth.

user1464934899 Sat 25-Jun-16 18:31:37

You can purchase Method Shower Cleaner from here

Thanks

Ditsy4 Sun 26-Jun-16 00:16:25

Oooh ! Thanks. We have a Sainsbury's now about 8/9 miles away. I will get some next week. Yeah I tried e cloths but not beige. I had just bought a new one hoping for great things but no it didn't shift it. It is the soap scum because I am the only one that rinses it off before I get out. We have a fluctuating household so it is cleaner when I am here by myself although I asked DH to do it one day and he did do a good job. I have some vinegar so will try that tomorrow. I've been out for the day today and left early. I 'lol work though the list until I get results so thanks very much because it does really annoy me. The shower is in front of the window so it shows up when the light is on it. It looks like I don't clean it when I do but it doesn't look much better. It is only a tiny bathroom( couldn't swing a cat) but light and airy and I have some attractive things on the shelving.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Mon 27-Jun-16 19:27:28

I found some stuff in B&Q that really helped when we moved into a new rental that had bad limescale on the tiles and the shower screens. The range is called HG and then it's their limescale remover. They also do one called shower shine which is a bit like the stuff they put on car windscreens after you go to a hand car wash. It kind of repeals the water and helps keep it clean. Will see if I can link.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Mon 27-Jun-16 19:28:54

uk.hg.eu/products/show/id/492/hg_professional_limescale_remover__hagesan_blue___0_5___1_l_

Ditsy4 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:18:33

Thank you. I tried shower shine but I didn't find it all that useful.

Ditsy4 Tue 28-Jun-16 23:01:33

Moose
Oh my goodness! I bought some vinegar( wasn't any left) today and added some Fairy, neat. Just rubbed over doors and all the scum disappeared. Lovely clear shiny doors except for the bit in the middle where they stick and don't fully open any more. Thanks so much. I had tried vinegar on its own but it took the mixture to clean it fully. Thanks very much. smile
Thanks everyone else for the suggestions.

apatheticfallacy Tue 28-Jun-16 23:05:00

shock first thing tomorrow I'm trying that! I slightly tempted to get out of bed now and grab the vinegar...

Olddear Wed 29-Jun-16 08:23:07

I use those white magic erasers

apatheticfallacy Wed 29-Jun-16 11:49:44

The vinegar and washing up liquid worked for me too - I'd also tried vinegar alone with limited success. Between that and the loo roll with bleach trick the grotty shower that came with the house looks pretty good!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 03-Jul-16 06:20:15

Glad I could help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now