Talk

Advanced search

putting the sofa cushion covers in the washing machine ?!

(10 Posts)
ichoosesleep Thu 23-Jun-16 11:36:49

I'm getting irritated with the thought of what actual crap and germs are hiding in them but I'm scared if I take them off and wash them I won't be able to get them back on again?! The sofa is a corner suite from sofaworks and 2 years old. Should I risk it hmm

skivvywoman Thu 23-Jun-16 14:32:43

Hmmmm it's a hard one does it say its washable

Kidnapped Thu 23-Jun-16 14:40:37

Ours are washable fabric sofas. I've washed them quite a bit over the years. They can be a bit tricksy to get back on the frame but you do get to grips with the technique of it. Easier if there are two of you.

Could you try it with just one of the cushion covers first before you take the whole lot off?

Wash at 30 or 40, line dry and iron whilst slightly damp?

And then see if it easily goes back on over the cushion.

NoMilkNoSugar Thu 23-Jun-16 23:00:27

Mine is chenille style fabric and says sponge wash only. They were so grubby I thought stuff it, they're going in the washer or we're having it skipped. So I risked washing it, but put the covers back on the seats cushions whilst they were still wet as I was concerned they would shrink. They've come up beautifully and I've washed them several times. Trouble is, the arms of the chairs now look extra minging.

apatheticfallacy Thu 23-Jun-16 23:03:49

I washed our old sofa cushion covers all the time and it was a bit of a wrestling match to get them back on but there was never any problem with it. I used the upholstery attachment of the carpet cleaner to do the arms and backs. Go for it - cool wash first to test the waters so to speak although when a friend off a friend left a used condom on the sofa ours got a very hot wash and were none he worst for it

Ladyface Thu 23-Jun-16 23:04:55

I put mine on a cold wash and the shortest spin cycle then let them dry thoroughly.

apatheticfallacy Thu 23-Jun-16 23:05:39

Of and worsE. I proofread whilst my thumb had made its own mind up to press send before my brain intervened.

PrimalLass Thu 23-Jun-16 23:21:16

We also had a chenille one last time, and do again now. They wash brilliantly.

PathOfLeastResitance Fri 24-Jun-16 07:45:23

It depends on the sofa. Mine is fabric but it can't be cleaned as it has this stuff on it for fire regs.

PathOfLeastResitance Fri 24-Jun-16 07:46:20

Saying that, my old sofa covers were regularly washed as the sofa was old and I figured that it was worth the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now