Talk

Advanced search

Laundry!! The biggest thief of my time and space

(12 Posts)
1cupoftea Wed 22-Jun-16 10:30:39

Doing laundry for the whole family takes up so much of my time....I feel like I constantly sorting, hanging and ironing!!
I've been trying to cut down on tumble dryer usage (for the planet), but my house size is modest and damp clothes take up so much space. blush
Who has similar problem? envy

AldeandOre Wed 22-Jun-16 10:39:18

Are you me? Exactly the same issues here. We're a family of 6 and the amount of laundry is overwhelming. 42 pairs of socks a week, more if you add in sports socks. And the shirts, bed linen, towels.... It's by far the most onerous bit of housework.

1cupoftea Wed 22-Jun-16 10:43:29

Agreed! I think a bit of sunshine would go a long way in helping me solve my space issue, shame you can't rely on British summer for that grin

wowfudge Wed 22-Jun-16 12:19:26

If we didn't have a tumble dryer, I would go mad. It is seriously not worth the hassle to have washing draped all over the place when it's raining.

applesandpears33 Wed 22-Jun-16 12:25:50

A lakeland heated drying rack and a dehumidifier help a lot. I'm not sure they are any cheaper than a tumble dryer though.

Papergirl1968 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:08:38

Stop ironing! I haven't ironed for about three years and honestly can't tell the difference!
As for drying, at this time of year on dry days I often do two loads and put them out on the line. Even if there's a shower, the air temperature is warm enough to quickly dry them again. Sometimes I peg out in the evenings and leave overnight.

TellMeDani Wed 22-Jun-16 20:10:52

How old are your DC's? I had x1 one potty trainer and x1 weaning at the same time, it was constant! I guess once they are older it will be sports kits and stuff that has been worn once and discarded!

I no longer iron much at all. I also did a Marie Kondo on all of the clothes in the house and we just own less so I might put the machine on more but there is less washing hanging about waiting to be folded.

The other good thing was a (seriously good) dehumidifier, I close it in a room with a clothes horse and most of it is dry by morning, now I only tumble dry bedding if it's raining and towels.

TellMeDani Wed 22-Jun-16 20:12:38

BTW someone will be along later to tell you that they can always totally tell when they see someone in un-ironed clothes. I close my ears to this sort of thing and carry on regardless...

PenelopePitstops Wed 22-Jun-16 20:15:24

What can you cut down? Do you wash towels after one use, if so stop. Clothes can be be worn at least twice (usually) before needing a wash (apart from pants!).

How often are you washing bedding? Become a sloven it's worth it!

Notonthelawn Wed 22-Jun-16 20:19:18

How many excess clothes do you have?

Live with essentials.

We have decluttered evetything & everywhere.

So enough socks for 1 week, enough tops etc, etc.

I probably do 3 loads a week, (only 2 of us) straight onto heated airer. I only need to Iron my work tops, everything else honestly doesnt need it.

1cupoftea Thu 23-Jun-16 10:11:14

Many I should reassess what is essential, still doesn't get away from the sports socks, shorts, t-shirts though!

I don't have a great deal of hanging space and when clothes are folded, tops and t-shirts for example, the creases don't fall out as well as when hung confused

parmalilac Thu 23-Jun-16 10:30:37

Agree with not ironing sheets, teatowels, t shirts etc, don't know why anyone would bother, but DH wears shirts to work so they're the only things that get ironed here. I resisted having a tumble drier for years, but got one and it cuts down on ironing enormously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now