Talk

Advanced search

Bleach turned white shirt's collar BRIGHT pink!!!

(23 Posts)
JemimaBee Sat 11-Jun-16 21:04:02

Since my favourite white shirt's collar was getting yellow, I decided to bleach it to restore the original whiteness. As soon as I soaked the shirt into the water+bleach solution, the collar turned BRIGHT pink!! The shirt has been soaking for 2 hours and the pink does not look any less intense.

I read online it may be because of some chemicals in the sunscreen I use? Has anyone any clue about how to get rid of the pink? There must be something I can do.

That's my favourite shirt, I can't bin it shock

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

skivvywoman Sun 12-Jun-16 09:06:12

I may be wrong but I think your shirts for the bin! Red/pink is near impossible to get out

Try taking out and washing as normal

Lweji Sun 12-Jun-16 09:09:06

Sun screen stains are the worst. I never tried bleach, but I tend to have dedicated beach clothes to throw away when too stained.

Lweji Sun 12-Jun-16 09:12:05

A little Google research says it's a component called P-20.
They should come with a warning.

Lweji Sun 12-Jun-16 09:15:40

And someone seems to have got rid of the pink by soaking longer in fresh stronger bleach.
Assuming the fabric doesn't crumble.

SciFiFan2015 Sun 12-Jun-16 09:34:49

Could you take it to a tailor and have them make a new collar for the shirt?

UntidyAn0n Sun 12-Jun-16 09:49:49

Try pegging out in the sun. Unlikely but worth a try. Sunlight works wonders for my whites/stains

Tuiles Sun 12-Jun-16 09:51:42

It's P20 suncream. I had to bin a while load of the kids school shirts after trying to bleach them. I did get the pink to go with more bleach, but it just left yellow stains instead.

JemimaBee Sun 12-Jun-16 10:00:54

After soaking the shirt in stronger bleach overnight, now the pink has turned into a light yellow, whic is not too bad. Is it worth to try to wash it at a high temp to get rid of it? What about rubbing baking soda on it?

cozietoesie Sun 12-Jun-16 10:12:16

What sort of material is it made of?

JemimaBee Sun 12-Jun-16 10:16:53

Cozie 83% cotton 13% polyamide 4% elastane

JemimaBee Sun 12-Jun-16 10:19:15

some pics of the collar

Cinnamoncookie Sun 12-Jun-16 10:32:19

Bleach is a strong alkali. Try something acidic like lemon juice?

cozietoesie Sun 12-Jun-16 13:05:16

My temptation would actually be to try a weaker solution of bleach but for a good long time - two or three days in a bucket. Then wheech it out, straight into a washing machine with a detergent wash as normal and dry it out thoroughly. See what it's like after that.

rabbit123 Sun 12-Jun-16 15:22:51

The collar has been dyed white and the bleach has stripped the dye. You should never use chlorine bleach on clothes, only ever use laundry (oxygen) bleach

JemimaBee Sun 12-Jun-16 20:53:49

Rabbit I did use laundry bleach!

wowfudge Sun 12-Jun-16 22:20:36

I'd try bleaching again to see if you can lighten the yellow then try sunlight. It can work wonders - even through a window.

dangermouseisace Sun 12-Jun-16 22:31:29

I'd try washing it again, then laundry bleach again. Whatever you try, it's not as if you've got much to lose grin

Newsongrising1 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:05:36

Just dipped my husband's cotton shirt into bleach to try to get rid of yellow stains from color and 'boom' turned pink, immediately. I threw it in the bin but then thought i'd just soak it in cold water. 24 hours later... pink has totally gone. So glad I rescued if from the bin!

Newsongrising1 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:06:58

Please excuse previous typos 😯

Dottyc13 Sat 01-Oct-16 09:26:36

Did you just soak in cold water only?
I've ruined my husbands wedding shirt and it's being soaking in bleach and water over night but still pink not as bright granted xx

Bizzybeth16 Sat 01-Oct-16 14:55:42

Try soaking in a hot solution of Soda Crystals for at least an hour.

This morning I was soaking daughters white school socks, they always get stains from the dye in her school shoes, and thought it would be a good idea to stick sons white shirts in to get white collars again, (usually I use washing up liquid to shift any grease and most of dirt then stick in washing machine with scope vanish) and save myself a job! Half hour later shocked to find 1 of his 3 shirts had turned pink at collar and top of shirt. Tried rinsing in cold water - no change, then my eye caught a packet of soda crystals that I usually keep sink plugholes and pipes clear with, packet says it removes stains so i thought I had nothing to lose couldn't make it any worse so made a hot solution and stuck shirt in for an hour. All pink vanished, put it washing machine and have just taken it out, cannot tell which shirt I'd turned pink.

Amoola Sun 14-May-17 12:36:42

Just came back off holiday and put 2 white cotton coverups in a light solution of thin bleach and water and right before my eyes one turned the brightest of pink, very patchy (the cheaper one thankfully). I left the pink one in the bleach solution for a couple of hours and it did turn back white with no signs of yellowing. Patience and not panicking may be the key.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now