Cleaner questions

(3 Posts)
lauzby Sat 11-Jun-16 10:27:35

I have a cleaner coming round in an hour to have a chat about doing a few hours for us every other week.

What questions should I be asking?

Also, she's not from an agency, just works on her own - what's the norm with insurance and holidays?

Thanks

concertplayer Sat 11-Jun-16 15:01:05

Obviously you will need to ask for references. Usually it will be other current clients she has. How did you hear about her?
By word of mouth often the best way. If she was previously with an Agency it would still be worthwhile checking with them as well. Also they may be able to give advice on hols etc
If she is to be left alone in your home then you are running a greater risk.
I would get a lock for one of your rooms and store anything valuable in there. At least till you know she is trustworthy.
I would ring up your own insurance providers and check your cover.
Finally I would agree a month's probationary period for both of you to see
how things go.

DanglyEarOrnaments Sat 11-Jun-16 15:51:38

She can legally operate as a sole trader without insurance as long as she works solo and has no employees but it is always a good idea for a cleaner to equip themselves with public liability insurance and any professional cleaner would have this cover, for your and their protection, solo or not.

She will be self employed so no probatory period is appropriate, when you are slef employed you are only there as long as the home owner is willing to buy your services, if you no longer want to have her you just cancel her services and she can do the same.

She may provide you with a contract or terms and conditions but a lot of solo operations don't have these in writing and all is discussed verbally.

Ask if she has a cancellation fee if you cancel a visit and if her insurance covers key holding insurance.

Ask her what is included within her service and what is extra and what is beyond the scope of what she offers. This is very important to find out in the first instance rather than be disappointed down the line if you wanted to book say a fridge clean for example and then find she doesn't offer this service. Make sure the service she is offering is right for you for both her and your long-term benefit you need to be a good match for one another or dissatisfaction will occur down the line. It's good if she has a service list in writing of all the items within the price she charges and what is additional to pay for. This clears up any potential misunderstandings over service level sold to you and you can see clearly what she has on offer within her service and whether this suits your needs.

For example, as a growing cleaning company, we have never offered ironing as an add-on, so if a potential client wanted ironing we let them know we are not a good match as this is not available and then they do not hire us to then become disappointed down the line. We also do not offer oven cleaning.

Some cleaners/services don't empty bins, some don't change beds, we do but others do not. it depends on what you want and what they are selling as to whether it will work or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now