Stinky rubber draining mat

(6 Posts)
stirling Wed 08-Jun-16 22:37:09

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of a damp cloth/ mouldy smell that's coming from my (ridiculously expensive) lakeland draining mat?

It worked so well for the first 6 months. But now, if I use it for cups/ bowls that I've washed, the rim of the cup ends up stinking of the mat. So far I've tried scrubbing with a brush and fairy liquid... Pouring near boiling water over it...leaving it to totally dry out for days. Smell persists.

Thank you

wowfudge Wed 08-Jun-16 23:06:57

What's it made of? Can it go in the machine?

Kiwiinkits Thu 09-Jun-16 01:58:31

dishwasher!

wowfudge Thu 09-Jun-16 08:20:50

Just realised the thread title states it's rubber! I'd stick it in the dishwasher if you have one, as suggested, or try soaking it in sterilising fluid or a bleach solution or a strong solution of bicarbonate of soda, which is great for neutralising odours.

Failing that, buy a cloth one which can go in the machine instead.

stirling Thu 09-Jun-16 11:20:43

Great thanks for the tips. Don't have a dishwasher so I'll try sterilising fluid first...

foreverandalways Thu 09-Jun-16 11:22:53

Wash with a mixture of bicarbonate of soda, water and lemon juice...just a thought....that smell would really bother me...good luck..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now