Talk

Advanced search

How much would you pay for your ironing to be done?

(3 Posts)
gokdevj Wed 08-Jun-16 11:57:39

For many years I was s self employed cleaner and also used to do ironing for my customers I charged between £10-12.50 per hour depending on the customer/what they were after but I did the ironing in there home after I had cleaned.

I'm looking to start up a bit of ironing again (just looking to earn a little extra to go in a saving pot ) but I will not be offering cleaning and I intend to do it in my own home but happy to drop/collect.

I have a good steam generator iron and can steam through a basket pretty fast of normal things, obviously shirts etc take longer.

I know lots of people are doing this so want to price myself right.

How much would you be looking to pay for this service? And how best to advertise?

wowfudge Wed 08-Jun-16 16:00:39

Why not contact ironing services in your area and ask what they charge? Do they collect and drop off? Do they use customers' own hangers? Do they put the ironed clothes in plastic covers? When I was looking for an ironing service I found some charge per item with different prices for different things, one charged by weight with a small supplement per man's shirt and one place charged by how long it took them, which seemed a bit weird to me. They all ending up costing about the same overall though.

BigGreenOlives Wed 08-Jun-16 16:04:55

I pay £10 an hour, the lady comes to our house & uses our steam generating iron. She takes between 11/2 & 2 hours. I pay to the next ¼ hour. She is clearly happy with this set up as she's worked for us for 10 years now (we have increased the rates). We also pay her when she goes on holiday and I give her £100-150 at Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now