Talk

Advanced search

smelly washing machine - help!

(19 Posts)
iliketeaalot Mon 06-Jun-16 08:13:58

I've just moved in to a new house and the landlord has left behind their washing machine - great! However, everything that comes out of it smells like wet dog - not so great... I've just put it on a 90 wash to try and nuke everything and always leave the door open. Anything else I could try to make the clothes smell nicer? Thanks.

Ilikesweetpeas Mon 06-Jun-16 08:17:58

You can buy washing machhine cleaner- it's a powder which you pour into the drum then run a hot wash on empty. Maybe the seal needs changing? Hope that helps

wowfudge Mon 06-Jun-16 08:21:22

What did you put in it on the hot wash? Soda crystals or vinegar will help shift smelly gunk. Give the seal a thorough wipe.

Don't use liquid detergent (contains no bleaching agents) or constant low temperature washes.

MakingJudySmile Mon 06-Jun-16 08:21:41

Pull out the detergent draw and give it a good wash - also the slot it came out of. Then do a Hot wash with a capful of bleach in the detergent draw and some bicarbonate in the drum

The washing machine cleaner is good too - but you might have the above to hand.

wowfudge Mon 06-Jun-16 08:24:43

I don't think you are supposed to use ordinary bleach in a washing machine and I'd be wary if it's not your own machine. (Though I have stuck some in with white towels before now.) High heat and soda crystals have always worked for me.

NicknameUsed Mon 06-Jun-16 08:25:30

Also, run a few washes using bio powder, not liquid. It will kill the mouls that causes the smell.

Never use laundry liquid.

MakingJudySmile Mon 06-Jun-16 08:36:35

Bleach is fine - just don't use a lot. It froths like crazy.

Callmecordelia Mon 06-Jun-16 08:39:25

When we moved into our house the washing machine stank. I did one hot wash with soda crystals, then another with bicarb and then one with vinegar. That did it.

Andbabymakesthree Mon 06-Jun-16 13:26:00

Check the pipes. It's often what's causing a stink too.

Cherylene Mon 06-Jun-16 13:31:29

As well as above

Take the drawer out and give it a good clean and soak in v weak bleach solution. Clean as far as you can reach into the drawer space.

Give it a good airing after each use.

iliketeaalot Mon 06-Jun-16 14:02:05

What are soda crystals? Thanks for all the tips. Would bleach be completely rinsed out of the machine or would I need to do another cycle after to completely rinse it through? I just put it on a hot was empty...

MatrixReloaded Mon 06-Jun-16 14:07:13

Check it's not this homeguides.sfgate.com/washing-machine-drain-hose-backflow-prevention-75687.html

I had this and is was simply that the waste hose needed to be positioned higher.

wowfudge Mon 06-Jun-16 15:54:31

Washing soda or soda crystals are a cheap cleaning product great for cutting through grease. You can use them for cleaning kitchen drains and laundry. They soften the water too meaning laundry detergent can be made to go further or just work more effectively in hard water. Supermarkets sell them, Wilkos, B&M, etc.

NicknameUsed Mon 06-Jun-16 20:56:40

They can be found alongside washing powder in supermarkets.

skivvywoman Mon 06-Jun-16 21:26:02

I've used bleach to wash out machine but just use a touch as it froths madly I came into my kitchen bubbles meeting me at the door (no joke) after I've done it I do a white wash just to make sure no bleach is still in it and if there was it's a white wash anyway

Also vinegar and bicarbonate soda

iliketeaalot Tue 07-Jun-16 20:48:16

It's a washer-dryer, and smells worse if I dry things in it. Would these tips still work? Thanks everyone.

wowfudge Tue 07-Jun-16 22:41:30

Should make a difference. Can you find the manual online if you don't have it and clean all the filters?

frami Tue 07-Jun-16 23:45:08

E-SPares have a video on You Tube on how to deal with this. They show you how to clean all the nooks and crannies where bateria linger.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWK9df1qgg

rabbit123 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:16:08

Another vote for Soda Crystals & white vinegar. Does a great job.

Soda crystals have so many uses. We used them to clean moss-ridden decking in our garden without harming the surrounding wildlife. Have a look on the DriPak website for different uses.

As others have said, use a powder rather than liquid and do at least 1 hot wash (60 degree minimum) a week. That will stop the machine getting moldy and smelly again once you've cleaned it out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now