Talk

Advanced search

Privacy and the bin inspectors

(10 Posts)
daisyring Thu 02-Jun-16 18:48:00

I recently had a letter to say that the waste collection people have found food waste in my grey wheelie bin when they "ask" for it not to be put in there (I'm not sure what they found - I don't put any in it but others in the household might). I support the idea of recycling food waste and want to do it - but I'm miffed that someone has been going through my bin looking at the contents. I don't put confidential documents in there but other "private" stuff goes in there (I wrap up private stuff like condoms/tampons - so they can't be seen.... but it seems officials are raking through it and taking notes!). Should I complain about lack of privacy. Maybe I should put my private waste in the food bin to keep them happy!

MrsSpecter Thu 02-Jun-16 18:50:24

Hang on, they are standing at the roadside going through people's bins before emptying them into the lorry? confused really?

TormundGiantsbabe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:53:38

Recycle properly and they won't need to rake through anything personal. Condoms and bathroom waste should be in the household waste bin and you can put anything in there so they don't need to look through it. Personal documents should be unreadable by the time they go in the right bin.

LemonRedwood Thu 02-Jun-16 18:56:43

We've had the "no food waste" label on the bin when I know we've made every effort not to put any in there and the most it could possibly have been was a bit left on the milky bar pudding yoghurt pot lid.

I think they just slap those stickers about randomly.

MrsSpecter Thu 02-Jun-16 18:57:04

Whats the grey wheelie bin for? I assumed it was the household waste bin because she had put condoms and tampons in. confused

LemonRedwood Thu 02-Jun-16 18:58:34

Grey is household waste round here. That's the bin I had a no food waste please sticker on.

TormundGiantsbabe Thu 02-Jun-16 19:00:51

Grey is recyclable waste where I am. Green is general household waste, Brown is garden waste (but you have to pay extra for that).

LIZS Thu 02-Jun-16 19:02:37

They didn't take our recycling bin today. dh had put a bag of fruit on top so assume it was that.

cozietoesie Thu 02-Jun-16 21:15:19

We have to put our bins in the street to be collected so people can - and do - come and empty goodness knows what into them. (Or nearby them.)

storybrooke Fri 03-Jun-16 12:42:14

That's extreme! Id guess quite a bit of food goes into our general waste bin, as does some plastic and cardboard, I'm the only one who sorts recycling. We've never had anything like that is it an area thing?

We're a zero waste town as well blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now