Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Spiders

(10 Posts)
Scarftown Wed 01-Jun-16 18:53:26

Hi all

I recently moved in to a new ish ground floor flat. Problem is I have started to get tons of spiders and not just the little ones. Now I don't mind them but it's beginning to get to me when I have to remove on almost daily. I assume they are coming I. Because of the wet and although I can't see how (no cents or windows open) I guess the fact I have a hedge outside my windows is what's the problem.

My gran swore by conkers but doubt it's the season. Any other suggests for keeping them at bay? Reducing the numbers at least?

Thanks!

Puppymouse Wed 01-Jun-16 19:01:53

Hopefully someone will be along with some advice soon but I was interested to read as we experienced same - admittedly a bit later in the year- when we moved into a basement flat. We were besieged for first few weeks - I was beside myself. But I think maybe they were disturbed by us moving in and the furniture shifting etc and once everything had calmed down it stopped being a problem...

skivvywoman Wed 01-Jun-16 19:39:13

My neighbour bought me a spider deterrent stray think it's from Amazon and just spray round Windows edges and doors and it's fab it definitely works

Scarftown Thu 02-Jun-16 13:47:59

I've brought a spray from Amazon so fingers crossed.

I had 5 in my room last night.

Cakedoesntjudge Thu 02-Jun-16 13:54:07

Peppermint oil is meant to be good as well - the advice is to add a few drops into a spray bottle filled with water and spray it around Windows and skirting boards.

Not actually tried it yet because I never get round to anything but I always liked the idea that it would smell more pleasant than the chemical ones you get.

OP I have an older house and the spiders get in really easily. To be fair, I have a utility room that used to be an outhouse and it's plastered so I presume they get in through the brick work. Also depends on where you live - is the new flat in a different area? I live by the fens and we get some cracking huge ones (doesn't mean I've ever gotten used to it).

Good luck!

PurpleRibbons Thu 02-Jun-16 13:57:36

Betterware do a good spider spray made with conkers. It's reasonably effective.

skivvywoman Thu 02-Jun-16 14:00:13

5 spiders!! As in big black huge legs spiders?? Oh my your brave!

skivvywoman Thu 02-Jun-16 14:00:41

5 spiders!! As in big black huge legs spiders?? Oh my your brave!

storybrooke Thu 02-Jun-16 14:06:57

Peppermint oil mixed with water works, I also grow mint on some windowsills of windows I open each day and <touch wood> haven't had any in a while grin

Scarftown Thu 02-Jun-16 14:33:33

Ooo I'll add peppermint to the shopping list.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now