Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else done with Dyson? (Another vacuum cleaner thread - sorry!)

(22 Posts)
runner2 Sat 28-May-16 14:18:05

My Dyson DC14 "Origin" upright vacuum cleaner is doing my head in: bought Sept '09, the problems started over 18 months ago. It suddenly started dragging across the carpet, almost ruining the one in our DD's bedroom; we changed the belt but ended up returning it to Dyson for a repair/service just weeks before the 5-yr guarantee expired. TBH although the dragging issue was resolved, I feel it has continued to deteriorate ever since - it just doesn't pick up as well as it should and I end up having to use the nozzle attachment to pick up little bits of fluff, threads etc. V irritating and takes twice as long! sad. Feel a bit guilty about ditching it as it isn't broken as such but not prepared to pay for another service. What to do? hmm

rabbit123 Sat 28-May-16 14:41:21

We had a DC14 Animal. Briefly. It was great for about 5 months and then it started to lose suction even after we washed the filter, tools broke off, the clutch jammed, the bin release broke. It was sent back for repair 3 times in under a year.
In the end, I got sick of it. Sold it on eBay and went back to using my old Sebo that our in laws gave us. That was about 8-10 years ago now and the old Sebo, which is 20 years old now, is still going strong was never let us down

Varya Sat 28-May-16 14:44:08

I swear by my Sebo and it picks up animal hair too!

rabbit123 Sat 28-May-16 14:45:45

I don't think Dyson have been much good since they stopped making them in Britain. The early ones were better built and didn't fall to bits as much

bigbuttons Sat 28-May-16 14:46:00

I 'v
e just got a shark. It's bloody amazing.

MaryMarigold Sat 28-May-16 17:01:22

Which Shark did you get bigbutton? I'm stuck between a Dyson DC55, a Miele Cat & Dog cylinder and a Shark lift away true pet.

Someone help me!!!!

GoofyIsACow Sat 28-May-16 17:10:41

DM has the gtech air ram and LOVES it!
I need a new hoover, my dyson is not picking up very well at all. I am debating the gtech

Toooldtobearsed Sat 28-May-16 17:20:49

I have the miele cat and dog, bought it early last year. DH then bought a gtech because he hates the cylinder vac. We thought it was brill and the miele was relegated to the car cleaning/rough stuff.

For the past few weeks, the dogs have been brushed to within an inch of their lives because of all the dog hair everywhere and we have been whinging about how bad they are moulting this year. It resulted in me regularly on hands and knees brushing up dog hair. I then managed to leave the gtech at sons house (don't ask), so DH was forced to use the Miele. EVERY bit of hair was picked up and the carpet looked brand new again........ the dogs were not moulting more this year, we had changed vacs this year!

Will still use gtech for a quick whizz, but nothing beats the Miele for deep down cleaning, in my opinion (never had a sebo though, assuming they will be similar).

bigbuttons Sat 28-May-16 17:50:30

MaryMarigold I have a lift away rotator model NV 340 UKR 31. I thought about a MieIe but prefer uprights.
We have a cat that is constantly washing itself, I think it has ocd and produces a lot of dander. The difference in my sneezing fits since getting the shark has been amazing. I hardly ever sneeze in the house now and the amount of fine dust it collects is staggering. really like the fact that you can lift the main body off and turn it into a hand held. It has a strap and you just carry it on your shoulders. The suction is amazing.

rabbit123 Sat 28-May-16 17:53:10

We bought a Miele Cat & Dog about 2 years ago, again thinking our old Sebo needed upgrading. The thing that irritated me about the Miele, even though it cleaned really well, was that the carpet turbo brush always ended up with loads of hair wrapped around it. I was forever sitting and cleaning the hair off the roller. The Sebo doesn't do that. It might be because the turbo brush is air driven whereas the Sebo roller is motor driven and has a bit more oomph.
It also filled the bags pretty quickly & they weren't cheap to buy. 1 bag lasted about a month unlike the Sebo which lasts more like 4-5 months.
Otherwise, I did like the cat & dog. The suction only nozzle was fantastic on our wood & tile floors. Just a shame that the turbo brush got so clogged up

runner2 Sat 28-May-16 19:07:15

I don't have pets so don't need a cleaner for that, but as expected it still seems to be that Sebo and Miele are the best options. This DC14 I have is the 3rd Dyson I've had - it's the bagless feature that kept luring me back to them - but having heard people say that the Sebo bags last ages I'm veering towards them. Does anyone own a model non-cat/dog that they recommend?

runner2 Sat 28-May-16 19:08:42

ps. Or are the cat and dog models better anyway cos they're more powerful??? confused

rabbit123 Sat 28-May-16 19:17:53

runner2, our Sebo isn't a pet model, even though we have pets. It's a bog standard X1 upright. Although if I had to replace it, I would get the X4 Extra as it comes with a full reach stair cleaning hose. The only difference between the pet models are normal is the pet ones come with more tools and anti-odor filters.
The only thing I will say is that if you get a cylinder and have carpets, the pet models are well worth it. They usually come with a turbo brush that works much better on carpet than the suction only models.
You're right about the bags. I can get 4-5 months out of 1 bag. They fill from the top so all the dust squashes down inside it. It's like a brick by the time it needs emptying.

runner2 Sat 28-May-16 20:13:52

I'm convinced - Sebo it is! Just trying to work out if it is worth paying 80 quid more for the X4 rather than the X1.... hmm

Oh my goodness. I have read this thread with great interest and am now considering upgrading my Dyson. And it's Saturday night. I'm not even that old! I think I'm on Team Sebo but bags...I'd muss the bagless part of Dyson. How do you know the bag needs changing, or is that a really stupid question?

Toooldtobearsed Sat 28-May-16 20:36:18

Dreaminggrinn the miele, there is a red light to tell you be us full. I do agree that miele bags are expensive, but I hoover every day, a bag lasts me, perhaps, 6 weeks? Bags are available on ebay, not miele, but every bit as good for less than half the price☺

rabbit123 Sun 29-May-16 00:32:42

runner2 definitely worth getting getting the x4 purely because it comes with the stair stretch hose. The X1 only has a short hose.

DreamingOfAFullNights.. it has a light on the cleaner head that flashes to alert you that the bag is full but it takes a while before it kicks in. You can just open the bag door & check when it's full.

icelollycraving Tue 31-May-16 18:45:41

When I tried a sebo in the shop it was their store vacuum. As soon as I switched it on it had that smell that vacuums with bags have. Put me right off & I was convinced I'd love it.
Dyson motor blew up on the weekend. It's in the guarantee period so the repair man is coming. I'm hoping they fix it.
We have a long hair cat & the dyson is ok but not super powerful. I think I have my expectations a little on the high side.

rabbit123 Tue 31-May-16 18:57:36

icelollycraving, it will smell if it's used in a shop. The Henry's at my work stink but ours at home doesn't even though it barely gets used age the Sebo certainly doesn't smell

JeopardyMouse Tue 31-May-16 19:03:17

I cannot recommend my Bosch Athlet enough. The freedom of cordless is amazing. It's so light but sucks up way better than any of my previous Dysons. On the turbo setting it sucks so hard it's almost hard to move it back and forth.

kimlo Tue 31-May-16 19:19:31

I always had dysons but my last one was rubbish and then it blew up.

Ive got a meile now and its much better. The bags last about 6 weeks.

icelollycraving Thu 02-Jun-16 18:56:51

The dyson man came today & replaced the motor,filter & another fiddly bit as it was in guarantee. I can vacuum again thank god! I did ask if I had overused it to make it start blowing out smoke blushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now