How do you wash blood out of white clothes?

(9 Posts)
BathshebaDarkstone Tue 24-May-16 10:35:57

DS hit his head at school yesterday, went to A & E and got it glued. I tried washing his polo shirt on a 40 degree wash, it's still looking kind of rust-coloured. Before it was washed it looked like he'd been beheaded, there was so much blood. He only has to wear it for 1 more half-term, they're bringing in proper shirts and ties in September. I suppose I could handle it looking grubby for a few more weeks, but has anyone got any tips for getting the blood out, preferably eco-friendly? smile

lifeistooshort Tue 24-May-16 10:37:18

Put some hydrogen peroxide on it. Let it fizz then rinse in cold water (no hot water, it sets the stain). If the stain is large, repeat the process until completely gone

Buggers Tue 24-May-16 10:37:35

Put it on a hotter wash with a tiny bit of bleach on the worst parts but wash as soon as you put bleach on.

Balletgirlmum Tue 24-May-16 10:38:21

It might be too late now.

The truck is to soak it in cold water with something like vanish before washing it. Hot water sets the stain.

CMOTDibbler Tue 24-May-16 10:38:40

Soak it in Napisan - it works wonders.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 24-May-16 10:43:02

It's no longer a stain, the whole shirt looks a bit grubby now. Will try Napisan. Thanks! grin

smellylittleorange Tue 24-May-16 12:02:30

Yes for future accidents ( not that I would wish those on you) - no hot water it sets the blood a protein a bit like egg white in hot water it coagulates - also salt works rather well at getting rid of it no idea why !!

Hope you son mends soon

KondoAttitude Tue 24-May-16 12:18:15

For now: Napisan.

For the future: soak in cold water (or do a pre-wash cycle). Then spray bloodstains with Vanish/Shout/other supermarket stain remover and leave for 3 minutes (don't let the Vanish dry on it or you'll never get the stain from the Vanish itself out, oh the irony...) and wash on a normal cycle. As others say, never wash in hot water straight off as it often "sets" the stain.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 24-May-16 18:02:08

Thanks everyone. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now