Kitchen drainer grooves

(15 Posts)
EmmaDan Thu 19-May-16 21:27:09

Hi there, I'm due to have a stone worktop fitted next week. Do I need draining grooves? Common sense says yes, but people say they don't work and get mucky. Do you have them? Did you not have them? Would you recommend them? I'm having a double sink. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mum2KSS Fri 20-May-16 13:41:06

Hi - I'm also having a double sink fitted with granite worktops and will be going for the grooves - I've heard water just drips down the cupboards otherwise...we'll also be having a water softener fitted so not worried about limescale gunk.

seeyounearertime Fri 20-May-16 13:42:11

Id skip the grooves and get a drying mat instead, but thats me.

EmmaDan Fri 20-May-16 16:52:43

Thanks for your feedback, the advice is conflicting! It's so difficult to choose!

Cloudybutwarm Fri 20-May-16 16:55:38

I have a 6 month old granite work top with grooves and yes the whole draining area seems to constantly be a bit scummy despite a lot of cleaning hmm

EmmaDan Fri 20-May-16 21:23:56

Thanks sunny but warm

Twinkie1 Fri 20-May-16 21:28:34

I've had grooves in last kitchen, just had new kitchen fitted and had grooves again. I use a Joseph Joseph dryer thing though so wet stuff doesn't sit on worktop. When I've washed up I rinse round the sink and put it in the sink.

Tubbyinthehottub Fri 20-May-16 21:30:25

I'd get grooves. Presume you're having a dishwasher so things piling up there will be minimal? You can just wipe with a cloth, as you would be doing with the worktops anyway hmm. Unless you're a foul dirty slattern.

ggirl Fri 20-May-16 21:52:24

We've got grooves on granite , over ten yrs old but we have a stainless steel drainer on top of them..which i suppose defeats the object but we don't tend to put pots and pans in the dishwasher so need something to pile them on otherwise they slide all over the place. Looks much nicer without the drainer and I should really try and do without it.

We recently had a water softener installed and I was so looking forward to not having to dry the granite after cleaning but it still bloody marks if I leave the water to dry ..no idea why .

Cloudybutwarm Fri 20-May-16 22:05:14

We do have a drainer so the dishes don't sit on the actual worktop (and a dishwasher so not loads of stuff anyway) but there just always seem to be water marks on it - we are hard water so wondering if it's limescale. I wipe it down multiple times a day and use method polish on it but it just never looks quite right.

Tubbyinthehottub Fri 20-May-16 22:08:29

Maybe it's a water thing. I'm not keen on those drainer things though as they get manky. I'd rather wipe down some grooves in the worktop than those fiddly wire racks.

wonkylegs Fri 20-May-16 22:13:18

We had ours dished rather than grooved as the old one had grooves and they got grubby even with the little use they got in our kitchen (I sling pretty much everything in the dishwasher)
The dished one stops water drips but doesn't get as manky.

Tubbyinthehottub Fri 20-May-16 22:14:58

What is dished??

wonkylegs Fri 20-May-16 22:21:33

Sorry that's what our kitchen guy called it but just looked it up and it's usually called a recessed drainer
Like this s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4c/0a/34/4c0a347dc69dc96bf7d60a5bec448348.jpg

Tubbyinthehottub Fri 20-May-16 22:34:17

Ah, ok. Never seen that before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now