Talk

Advanced search

Nappy accidentally in washing machine - dark wash.. Agh!

(15 Posts)
4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:01:37

Any advice gratefully received! Stupid me, blush was a night nappy worn but actually dry, (if any consolation) somehow caught up in my dirty washing bundle in morning rush. DDs black dance leggings, DS avengers pyjamas, lovely navy Next pyjama top of mine and various other dark items covered in white fluff.. confused

I've shaken them out in garden and hung on the line, despite it being a wet drizzly day! (Neighbours probably think I'm barmy!) despite vigorously shaking them, still covered in white layer.. I may add a pic.. I've wiped out machine, which didn't seem to bad, and stuck on a 90 degree service wash with bleach to hopefully clear any remnants...

So first thread in housekeeping, any ideas please folks?

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:13:19

Sun's just come out! However you can see how bad it is confused

Jimjamjoos Wed 18-May-16 15:15:07

Oh no! Will a tumble dryer get the fluff off?

ReturnOfTheJewel Wed 18-May-16 15:15:08

Lint roller? Sellotape?

jazzandh Wed 18-May-16 15:17:25

tumble dryer if you can.....(works for tissue fluff )

wowfudge Wed 18-May-16 15:19:58

Put the load through the machine again on a rinse programme and add an extra rinse if you can. Tumble drying is also a good idea.

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:21:29

Thanks Jim & Return.. Did wonder about tumble dryer but also worried about excessive fluff build up/fire risk aspect?

Lint/sellotape an option as well, thanks, albeit a very time consuming one! grin

Debating whether best to let dry and try remove more by shaking off/banging out, or just wash again, potentially several times? hmm

Jimjamjoos Wed 18-May-16 15:25:30

Just tumble dry on low heat and clear the vent thing every 20 minutes!

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:27:11

Hmm thanks jazz and wow, so maybe I'll try line drying a little more, more shaking (DH home soon so can enlist a bit of extra force!) tumble dryer, then rewash and rinse, possibly repeating steps 1-3 a few times... sigh.. Midweek wine possibly also called for!

Artistic Wed 18-May-16 15:32:39

We didn't tumble dry. Just dried it completely on the line (indoors so paper underneath). When fully dried, shook it vigorously (produced copious amount of fluff) & put the whole lot to wash again. The next round was clean.

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:32:59

Good thinking Jim, just recently had hotpoint round to do something to tumble dryer as was one of those with a fire risk shock so am extra conscious of all that!

wowfudge Wed 18-May-16 15:41:32

Your tumble dryer will be perfectly safe with the modification. Engineer told me the issue arose when the fluff filters were never emptied.

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:48:40

Thanks wow, yes, always been one for regularly cleaning filters (something strangely satisfying about it!) but as soon as you hear the words 'fire risk' associated with an appliance suddenly makes you very conscious of the dangers! Had same with our dishwasher, also hotpoint! hmm

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 15:54:57

Thanks also artistic, good to hear I'm not alone in my misdemeanour! wink DS recently potty trained, and DD 6 next week, so have got this far without what I'm sure is an inevitable experience of parenting for many! grin

4everhopeful Wed 18-May-16 18:34:18

Update for anyone interested - drying on line, DH giving a very thorough shake, and tumble dryer, has done the trick - hurrah! grin Gonna wash it through again as well but job done..!

Thanks very much for responses ladies flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now