Water pooling in bottom of fridge

(15 Posts)
WellTidy Wed 18-May-16 11:40:06

I'm finding that, at least once a week, there is a massive puddle of water in the bottom of the fridge underneath the salad drawers. I have tried turning down the temperature slightly, but that didn't work to keep the contents cool enough. The fridge isn't massively cold, just the same as anyone else's fridge. I mop up the water, but what can I do to prevent it building up> Fridge is integrated and about 10 years old. I think it is a Zanussi or Indesit.

Seeline Wed 18-May-16 11:43:09

Mine does this if the drainage hole gets blocked - have you dried checking that? Mine is at the back, just level with the glass shelf over the salad section. Sometimes a stray crumb or bit of broccoli or something gets stuck in it.

dementedpixie Wed 18-May-16 11:44:32

Yep I agree, check on the back wall for a little hole with a drainage channel. There is normally a plastic stick thing inside it to help clean it out

Vinorosso74 Wed 18-May-16 16:43:30

We had this problem a few months ago and drainage hole was blocked. It was a bit yucky, cleaned it with a cotton bud and all good.

sleepwhenidie Wed 18-May-16 17:23:59

It might also be happening if the door seal isn't working properly, whether because of age/broken or if something is in the way of the door closing. The fridge then ices up and melts from time to time, creating lots of water.

TobleroneBoo Wed 18-May-16 20:23:00

Have had this problem and just cleaned the hole. Made me gag confused

gamerchick Wed 18-May-16 20:24:09

Yeah you need to ungunk your hole. I just use a babybud.

WellTidy Thu 19-May-16 00:17:02

I've cleaned it with a cotton bud. It was filthy. Feeling a bit sick thinking about what was lurking in there actually.

TobleroneBoo Thu 19-May-16 07:09:31

Didn't realise it would be so bad. Worst thing is that it's an integrated fridge and we only moved in 3 months ago so it's likely to be someone else's gunk!!

spookyelectric Fri 20-May-16 23:05:01

Yep- agree the hole in the back.If cotton bud doesn't fix it (be careful my sister lost a cotton bud down the hole whilst cleaning) then use a long pipe cleaner (can get them from craft shops, "borrow" one at playgroup etc) they go further into the hole and get out more gunk.

I find if the kids have pushed food in cardboard packaging to the back of the fridge sometimes bits of it stick to the back wall and get defrosted down into the hole overnight, gunking it up.

shanhill Sat 21-May-16 14:24:22

Are you sure the door is completely closed at all times? I had similar issues when they was some trouble with the rubber seal on the fridge door.

WellTidy Sat 21-May-16 17:08:45

That's something to monitor, thanks. I haven't seen any pooling since i did the cotton bud thing, but I will keep an eye in it. The oven is right next to the fridge (someone else's design) so that may have something to do with it too.

bimbobaggins Sun 22-May-16 10:42:20

I have this problem and i have to clean it up at least one a week. It is a fridge only no freezer.

Will go to check the drainage hole but even if i clear this were is the water going to drain to because its not plummed into anything

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 22-May-16 10:47:38

The hole normally drains into a little tray in amongst the heat exchange tubes at the back to evaporate. We are getting this too despite keeping the hole clear, maybe I need to check the door seals.

bimbobaggins Sun 22-May-16 11:38:49

Well ive cleaned the hole for the first time ever so im sure you can imagine what came out. Will definitely clean on a regular basis now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now