Talk

Advanced search

Washer dryer that actually does both?

(16 Posts)
Littlesecret28 Sun 15-May-16 00:01:38

Hi all,

I have recently just had my kitchen done and since i didnt have room for both a washer and a tumble dryer, i got a washer dryer.

I have bought a hotpoint WDAL8640P and i hate it, it has not screen to show me how long the wash but does seem to wash the clothes pretty well, but the drying take ages and never seems to get the clothes dry at all. I put it on for a wash and sensor dry last night, i put it on a 30 min 40 degree wash and a sensor dry and it took over 4 hours! It was just a simple t-shirt and pants load as well.

I do understand that a washer dryer will never be as good as a washer machine and a tumble dryer, but since i live in a flat i don't have room for both.

So i was wondering whether anyone can recommend me a good one, that does a good wash and good dry.

Any advise would be helpful

Cakescakescakes Sun 15-May-16 00:05:12

They all take ages to dry. At least twice as long as a regular tumble dryer. Eg if I wash a load of towels on a normal wash I will then have to split the load into 2 halves to tumble dry it and each half load will take 2-2.5hrs to dry. So Easily 6hrs to wash and dry a full cotton load. And things are much more wrinkly and less fluffy than with a stand alone dryer. But it's better than nothing and I only use the dryer in winter when I need to.

LifeIsGoodish Sun 15-May-16 00:27:42

Miele and Bosch

Tostartagain Sun 15-May-16 10:53:32

Lg seem to have good reviews

concertplayer Sun 15-May-16 17:02:43

bosch has a special offer on some of its machines- an extended guarantee
but hurry before the offer runs out

concertplayer Sun 15-May-16 17:09:51

Sorry It is Samsung with the offer Oh just go my new Which? magazine
Best value one is AEGL75670WD c£529

wiltingfast Mon 16-May-16 16:26:22

I have a Samsung one and it is totally rubbish. So read reviews and be careful nasty feeling you might have to spring for a Miele

FinallyFreeFromItAll Mon 16-May-16 21:35:16

My brother has a miele washer dryer and its good.

I actually came on here to say avoid hotpoint but it seems you've also been unfortunate enough to experience how dreadful they are.

FinallyFreeFromItAll Mon 16-May-16 21:40:10

Oh and in the mean time - do you make sure to use the highest spin setting available? The higher the spin setting the less damp the clothes before they start the drying cycle - it may add more to wash times but should save more time over all due to how much drying time is then reduced.

dontcallmelen Tue 17-May-16 17:38:55

Hi I have just bought one from John Lewis, own make was £535.00 with three year guarantee, it's bloody fantastic washes really well lots of different programmes, short wash etc & the dryer has three levels of dryness & actually drys without creasing clothes into a tangled ball, unlike the stupid neff I had before, throughly recommend.

dontcallmelen Tue 17-May-16 17:41:28

Ooh & meant to say the drying times adjusts itself, so starts off with really long drying time, then after a few minutes adjusts so a normal load ie underwear/towels usually takes just over an hour.

thecapitalsunited Tue 17-May-16 17:48:27

I have an AEG which seems to work ok but none of them can dry as much washing as they can wash in one load. It's all down to air circulation - if you had a full load of washing in it then the warm air can't get round the clothes properly. Space isn't so much of an issue on a wash cycle because clothes sort of squish together more when wet than when dry.

DeathMetalMum Wed 18-May-16 16:44:06

Have you checked the load size of the dryer? I have a hotpoint and the loads size for the dryer is half the load size for the machine. I tend to split the load if I am drying using the dryer part. I take out the things that dry the quickest on the airer, (and jeans if they are not needed quickly) usually wollens and cotton T shirts then tumble the rest, still takes a while but it dries much quicker if it isn't 'overloaded'.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 18-May-16 16:46:52

Even meile washer driers are shit ime!

TheRattleBag Wed 18-May-16 16:59:56

I have a Candy washer dryer (8kg wash, 5kg dry) and it's fine. I generally save up all the undies/smalls from a few washes and then dry them all together. They're done in 90 mins. If I'm putting other things in with them (t-shirts etc) then I up it to 2 hours.

I use the mixed load wash every time, takes 1:49.

I'm a bit of a slattern with towels and bedding (by MN standards at least!) so generally only have 2/3 loads of clothes each week (there are only two of us in the house).

dontcallmelen Wed 18-May-16 22:08:50

Mine has 8kg wash load & 6kg drying load, I know that separate machines are quicker, you can wash/dry at the same time, but if space is an issue they can be a solution & the JL one that I have has been a really good compromise, so much more efficient than the previous neff machine, this one also has a good spin speed of 1600.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now