How to remove sun lotion from walls?

(7 Posts)
ThursdayNextIsMyHero Sun 08-May-16 16:21:41

We've just decorated and are really pleased with it. Unfortunately, one of the freshly-sunlotioned DC has leant against the walls (lining paper and paint) and we've now got a greasy, very conspicuous mark. We've tried blotting it with kitchen roll, and gently using soapy water but it's not helping. Having a look online, I've found one method using ammonia, but as I don't work in a chemistry lab, I don't have any sitting around at home. Wise mumsnetters, can you help? It's so frustrating, one week it's been painted, and already it's looking scruffy.

wowfudge Sun 08-May-16 21:59:45

Try sugar soap - you can buy from any DIY store or ironmongers. Cuts through grease and is used for cleaning walls and woodwork prior to decorating.

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Mon 09-May-16 06:22:14

Thanks, will give that a go

wowfudge Mon 09-May-16 10:13:54

If you can't get rid of the mark completely then paint over with Stain Stop and repaint. If you use a small roller for the emulsion you should easily be able to blend the patch in.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 09-May-16 10:17:49

If the paint is pale then I'd try talc. It might absorb the grease out of the paint?

If that doesn't work, or the paint isn't pale, then you'll need stain stop and then paint again. If it's freshly painted the. Hopefully you'll be able to blend the edges with the roller (don't use too much paint!).

Don't be tempted to just paint over; the grease will come back through the paint over time. Stain stop first.

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Mon 09-May-16 17:21:34

Can you get Stain Stop in DIY stores?

HappyAsASandboy Wed 11-May-16 21:54:43

Yes. There are various brands; I recommend Zinsser Coverstain smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now