Spring clean - help!!

(15 Posts)
AgathaMystery Tue 26-Apr-16 10:05:06

My house is having a day long Spring clean on Friday L. It's a generous gift from the DP and I grateful... but it's an amazing amount of work to get ready for it.

I need some direction please about what else to do before they arrive. I am de-cluttering as much as I can. What else can I do? I have been doing Kon Mari since Dec and had a long break as I was really poorly, but I'm home now and keen to get as much as poss out of Friday.

Any hints or ideas. grin??

AgathaMystery Tue 26-Apr-16 10:13:22

Agh. Typos hmm

Honu Tue 26-Apr-16 10:19:50

Decide what matters most to you and make it clear to the cleaners what your priorities are.

AgathaMystery Tue 26-Apr-16 10:42:16

Sort of want my house to look like a magazine shoot. Possibly unrealistic hmm

cozietoesie Tue 26-Apr-16 10:59:01

How much 'stuff' is actually going to be left by Friday?

AgathaMystery Tue 26-Apr-16 11:18:04

Honestly I have no idea. I work FT but am day off today so trying to eBay as much a poss which is not a short term solution I know.

I am utterly without direction hmm

Grumpyoldblonde Tue 26-Apr-16 13:51:01

I would try to make sure floors and surfaces are clear even if that means boxing things up and putting them in the garage/loft/car for now. A spring clean for me would mean the - the windows, mirrors, skirting boards, oven, fridge, vacuum top to bottom including under furniture. all high surfaces dusted, everything polished and dusted (ornaments/vases on display) possibly carpets/rugs cleaned. Kitchen floor cleaned to within an inch of it's life. Main thing, get your stuff out of the way for them so they can crack on and really get into the corners.

AgathaMystery Tue 26-Apr-16 14:33:24

Thank you! Got suitcases and deck chairs out from under the beds etc. It's all going up in the loft for now.

House already looks loads nicer!

AgathaMystery Sun 08-May-16 22:14:49

I just wanted to say thank you for the advice....

The Spring clean was amazing we came home to a show home. Truly.

everything was clean - it's unreal. I thought my homewas clean before but his is something else.

All unnecessary belongings went to the charity shop or in the bin before the clean. I ebayed or donated every item of clothes that I didn't love or didn't fit. I made over £300. Belonging that we need but don't have a beat & tidy home are currently in my neighbours box room & we are going through them to get rid of find a proper storage space.

It has been life changing.

Grumpyoldblonde Mon 09-May-16 16:09:06

I am really pleased to hear it went so well, so, you came here looking for advice, now it's your turn! What would you say were the things that really made the difference between very clean and 'showhome' clean? If you have a minute I would be interested to hear what made it so special, I am a clean tidy person generally but I hanker for the luxury of 'gleam' sometimes and wonder what I can do to get that. I never know whether it is good old time and elbow grease, special products or what.

AgathaMystery Mon 09-May-16 17:58:54

Hmmmm

Well first of all we really were ruthless and binned/sold/donated many many possessions. I can't say how many but it was maybe 6 car loads to the charity shop. Out house is 700 sq ft and was always clean but occasionally o felt utterly overwhelmed by our possessions - mostly DH's if I'm honest.

The cleaners removed every item from each room so the walls and paintwork really were gleaming when we got home. None of the beds had anything under them which made an amazing difference. Each room went from maybe 6 ornaments to 2 max.

I have wooden worktops and had sanded and oiled them the week before. They repeated what I'd done and made a real difference. We also have all stone floors & they waxed them - something I haven't done for 3 years as its an utter beast of a job. The floors made the real difference I think.

It's made me realise that I am very tidy (unload tumble dryer & put it all away immediately) whereas DH is 'later' with everything. Already he is trying to do it again and I am being quite assertive saying 'nope, it all goes away right now' grin

I guess what really made it work was the massive massive cull of possessions if I'm honest.

Grumpyoldblonde Mon 09-May-16 18:14:43

Thanks, I am nearly done decluttering my own house which makes a difference, but I can't declutter the family who seem incapable of using the laundry basket when there is plenty of room on the floor, I have worked really hard to get rid of all the crap so I get very down and angry that they don't respect all my hard work, I also work more than full time hours so...
Yes, floors make a massive difference, I always think you could spend a week scrubbing every corner of a home, but if the carpet needs hoovering or the floor needs mopping then the house just won't look clean and tidy.

AgathaMystery Mon 09-May-16 18:46:21

Yep. I agree 100% - have you tried binning most of the clothes? Amazing how much faster everyone puts things in the laundry when they don't have as many clothes as they did the week before grin

shovetheholly Tue 10-May-16 09:42:17

Wow, it sounds amazing. This is a really nosy question, so feel free not to answer... but can I ask how much it costs to get this done? Just a ballpark figure is fine!

I can't believe they did an entire house in a day! That must take a small army!!?!

Solo Tue 10-May-16 12:23:30

<hoping that shovetheholly has her question answered>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now