Talk

Advanced search

New washing machine - cheapest Bosch?

(11 Posts)
cornflakegirl Fri 22-Apr-16 11:07:55

Our 10 year old bottom of the range Bosch washing machine has died. It has been fine, and I'm thinking of just replacing with what looks like the near identical current version:

www.bosch-home.co.uk/products/washers-dryers/washing-machines/front-loader/WAE24167GB.html#tab4

I've read around a bit, and seen reports that Bosch aren't as good now that they're made in Spain etc etc - but then stories seem to vary on how much you have to pay to get one made in Germany. And given that we probably only do 3 or 4 loads a week, I'm not sure it's worth paying the extra for a more expensive Bosch or a Miele. Am I deluded?

rabbit123 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:30:22

Hi Cornflakegirl (you bet your life it is!)
You're spot on, the bottom end Bosch machines are made in china, with some being made in Spain and Poland. The mid-high end Bosch's are fine, but the cheaper ones have been known to have problems. I'd got mid-high end Bosch, Siemens or low end Miele.

rabbit123 Sun 24-Apr-16 21:33:38

These seem to be one of the better Bosch machines. Not hugely expensive, but not cheap either.

ao.com/product/wat28370gb-bosch-washing-machine-white-37234-1.aspx

MyLlamasGoneBananas Sun 24-Apr-16 21:44:59

My £189 Beko (chosen simply because it could be delivered the very same day when I was in dire need) has out lasted every other machine Ive ever had - and DH is/was a brand snob so he usually chose top of the range products by the so called top of the range manufacturers.

I do at least one load a day every single day, usually 2 loads. 6 years on it still going strong and not noisy or rattly. The cheap "for now" fix has changed my view on brand snobbery. Im definately getting another Beko next time but will probably choose one with a few more features.

This one is moreless the same as mine exept mine is a 7kg drum. WASHER

rabbit123 Sun 24-Apr-16 22:10:12

We found the same thing Llama. We had an all singing, all dancing Hotpoint Ultima ultra silent 1600 spin digital control thingamyjig that was useless and died a death after 18 months. We were going through a house renovation at the time and bought a Beko for £199 to "put us on" and it ended up lasting 6 years with constant use. The motor brushes went on it and it wouldn't spin, so we sold it to a friend cheap who had it repaired (for around £60, I think) and and it's still going. That was in 2009, so that washer is 13 years old now and still going. We only got rid because by the time it needed repairing, the house was finished and we were kitting the utility room out with new stuff anyway.

NeverNic Mon 25-Apr-16 00:23:36

Our hot point washing machines always used to fall apart within two months of the guarantee running out. After checking online (Google washing machine reviews) I found a site written by a repairman which was excellent at comparing and reviewing machines, we took his advice and bought a Beko. There were more expensive makes he'd recommended above, but our Beko ticked enough boxes for us. So far it's lasted twice as long as the hot point and seems to clean things better

Berks2Mum Mon 25-Apr-16 04:36:36

I bought an Ao Eco bubble wash Samsung to replace old Bosch one. Is really disappointing that it takes hours. Hate the dam thing compared to old one. Can't see any benefit.

lavendersun Mon 25-Apr-16 05:07:22

I have that very machine OP and do just what you suggested in your OP. I buy the most basic Bosch I can find and use it trouble free for 12-13 years, then when it fails I buy the same again.

My current machine was bought on Christmas Eve in 2011 and I haven't had a problem with, not one thing touches wood.

cornflakegirl Wed 04-May-16 12:35:25

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

rabbit - you agreed with what I had seen elsewhere, that I'd have to spend roughly twice as much to get a machine viewed as more reliable.

lavender - it was good to hear that you had a more recent machine that was still working.

We went with the cheapest Bosch in the end. (Thought that was a good solution.) If it only lasts a couple of years, then I will learn my lesson and buy a Miele next time!

rabbit123 Thu 05-May-16 17:32:09

"Thought that was a good solution"

I thought that was hanging with the raisin girls?

concertplayer Tue 10-May-16 14:04:29

If you haven't bought yet I think I saw a Bosch promotion on their ECO bubble one
and another line as well last week I believe it was a 10 guarantee but you will need to be quick Sorry cannot remember where I saw it but just give them a ring and ask

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now