Talk

Advanced search

Storing a wooden train set

(14 Posts)
Equimum Tue 19-Apr-16 15:48:15

Can anyone please tell me how they store rather large, wooden train sets (I.e. The Brion type).

When DS first got a set, we bought a large plastic storage box. Then we bought a second. Overtime, we found it difficult to find all the small bits which inevitably sank to the bottom, so just after Christmas, we bought an IKEA Trofast system (the single width one). This seemed like the ultimate set-up, even if we did still need an additional box to store some of the bits. However, when a double depth tray is filled with track, it comes off the runners as soon as it is partially pulled out.

So, what do other people use? Am I best off just buying a set of stacking storage boxes?

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 15:55:52

How old is DS? (You said 'over time' so I'm wondering whether he's outgrown it and whether you actually need to store it at all. wink)

steppemum Tue 19-Apr-16 16:06:49

we had 3 boxes.
2 large ones with lids
one smaller one

one box = track, stacked so loads fits in
one box = bridges and stations etc 9lid never closed on this one)
small box = trains and little bits.

stacking the track and separating the track and bridges made it take up MUCH less space. It took a few goes when we were putting it away, but they soon got good at stacking track as they dismantled it.

This also meant it was nice to use, as they didn't have to rummage for what they wanted

whatevva Tue 19-Apr-16 16:09:55

We used to stack ours in melon boxes from Tosco. (Cheap)

One box track
One box junctions
one box bits and bridges
one box of boats, trains etc.

Equimum Tue 19-Apr-16 20:13:11

Thank-you everyone. Yes, the whole idea of the Trofast was to separate it all out, but it's just not big enough/ strong enough. I think we will just get a selection of stacking boxes (I had hoped for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but maybe there's just no hope grin).

Cozie, DS is three, but the trainset has been his favourite since DH sourced a fairly big second hand set for his second birthday. My older brother is a train fanatic, so he has frequently bought bits, then lots of bits were added at Christmas and for his third birthday. At the moment, he still very much loves it, and we have a younger boy, so I think it'll be with us for a while yet.

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 20:51:46

Oh 3 is no age then. smile

(I recall going into a big toyshop in London shortly before Xmas once and, on reaching the basement, saw all these father's playing with a big toy train layout - many with little boys tugging at their jackets and saying things like 'Daddy....... Can we go see XXXXXX now, Please??? grin)

daisydalrymple Tue 19-Apr-16 20:56:43

I think 9 yo ds1 is secretly VERY excited about the thought of getting his wooden tracks and engines back out for ds2. In fact they've never been put away into storage as dd, now 7 always loved playing with them too.

So I'm sure a more aesthetically pleasing storage solution would actually be cost effective long term grin

NeverNic Wed 20-Apr-16 11:21:55

We have under bed storage trunks that are shallow and wide with wheels. They're clear and come with a lid. We got ours from tesco

WellTidy Wed 20-Apr-16 11:26:23

we have one of these stuva storage bench in white. The stations, bridges, windmill, wash down, sheds etc go into this. It doubles as a coffee table/dumping place in our playroom. The bottom part of the bench is on coasters so it can be pulled out. The trains themselves and the track go into two separate really useful company storage tub with handles, one of the really durable ones. They stack. We've had this set up for years and it has worked really well.

Equimum Wed 20-Apr-16 19:41:34

Thanks ladies. I hadn't thought of unserved storage, but that might be perfect.

Yes, daddy, Grandpa and Uncle are all very keen to 'help' set up the railway.

LaughingHyena Thu 21-Apr-16 11:08:20

We used the under bed storage boxes too. A shoe box or other shallow box inside makes a good divider for keeping the smaller bits in.

cozietoesie Thu 21-Apr-16 11:20:12

Just wait until all the men in the family DS graduates to the 'big stuff', Equimum. (Including signal boxes etc etc.) You might as well concede on the 'cave' now. It will likely only be a matter of time and at least you might achieve some proper planning. grin

Equimum Thu 21-Apr-16 17:38:08

Cozie we already have a signal box, three stations, engine shed, train wash, numerous tunnels/ etc etc etc....

I've done some research and worked out that we can fit three medium sized plastic boxes under DSs bed, so will be ordering those tonight. If we need more, I can fit another couple under DS2s bed.

Now to work out what to put in the Trofast unit which I spent weeks persuading DH we needed....

cozietoesie Thu 21-Apr-16 18:09:53

I almost hate to say this, but........

'How big is your garden/loft if you have either?' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now