Is there right way to hang clothes on a washing line?

(163 Posts)
loresho Thu 14-Apr-16 15:29:59

Do you hang clothes from the hem or the shoulder/waistband? Does it matter?

DH hung the washing out one way (pegged at hems) and I went out and changed it to the other way, because it felt wrong the way he had done it. I am aware that was a crazy thing to do, but it has made me wonder... is there a right way?

MadauntofA Thu 14-Apr-16 15:37:05

Most certainly - trousers by the waist, shirts/ t-shirts on hangers to reduce ironing, socks etc any way you want. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong!

SweetieDrops Thu 14-Apr-16 15:41:10

Tops from the bottom, bottoms from the top is the way I do it.

Cockadoodledooo Thu 14-Apr-16 15:41:34

Tops from the bottom, bottoms from the top!

dementedpixie Thu 14-Apr-16 15:42:27

Tops from the bottom and trousers by the waistband. How did he do it?

strawberrypenguin Thu 14-Apr-16 15:42:44

I was taught tops from the bottoms and bottoms by the tops too!

loresho Thu 14-Apr-16 15:47:10

demented he hung everything from the bottom.

I rehung everything from the top. So it sounds like we're both doing it a bit right and a bit wrong.

Kidnapped Thu 14-Apr-16 15:52:29

Everything from the bottom.

If you hang jeans by the waistband, they'll take forever to dry.

SoupDragon Thu 14-Apr-16 16:01:38

If you hang jeans by the waistband, they'll take forever to dry.

No they don't confused

Everyone has their own "right way" of hanging stuff out. I think the only thing that really matters is that knitted jumpers should be pegged under the arms so they don't stretch.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Thu 14-Apr-16 16:01:54

Trousers from the bottom always, tops depends whether they are stretchy or not. Shirts etc by the bottom, t shirts doubled over and pegged under armpits.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 14-Apr-16 16:03:44

I use coat hangers!

ChesterFuckingDraws Thu 14-Apr-16 16:03:57

Tops over the line and pegged under the arms to stop pulling out of shape/peg marks
Trousers by waistband fly open
Sock by opening only peg one side
Pants by one side

Everything gets a good shake before hanging it up so no ironing needed

loresho Thu 14-Apr-16 16:09:35

chester - I think I'll adopt that technique for t-shirts - hate the peg marks!

but drying pants outside! shock don't think I could get onboard with that (low fences, nosey neighbours) smile

cozietoesie Thu 14-Apr-16 16:09:46

From the bottom - if the line permits. smile

GrouchyKiwi Thu 14-Apr-16 16:24:26

I do trousers by the waistband, tops by the shoulder seam to avoid stretching out of shape, and shorts by the collar (especially DH's white work shirts so the sun gets on the neck band).

cozietoesie Thu 14-Apr-16 16:28:40

I just couldn't do it that way. Just plain couldn't. I'd twitch uncontrollably. (And if someone else hung out the washing that way, I'd have to go out and re-hang it.)

GrouchyKiwi Thu 14-Apr-16 16:37:18

Heh, cozie. DH often does it your way and I go out to rehang it. grin He is learning the Right Way, though.

loresho Thu 14-Apr-16 16:53:27

I'm glad I'm not the only one who would go out to rehang!

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Thu 14-Apr-16 16:58:34

I have to rehang because DH hangs jersey tops from the bottom leaving uneven hems and peg marks. I get my own back by pegging mismatched pairs of socks together.

Maryz Thu 14-Apr-16 17:02:49

Of course there is shock

Pegs have to match for starters - you can't use a wooden and a plastic peg on one piece of clothing.

I rehang as well blush - but I hang everything outside, bras, pants the lot - I don't care who sees them.

Maryz Thu 14-Apr-16 17:02:50

Of course there is shock

Pegs have to match for starters - you can't use a wooden and a plastic peg on one piece of clothing.

I rehang as well blush - but I hang everything outside, bras, pants the lot - I don't care who sees them.

LunaMay Thu 14-Apr-16 17:04:31

Tops/shirts folded over line and pegged under arm
Pants/jeans from the waistline unzipped
Usually just peg socks by the top in pairs depending on how thick
Bras are fastened over the line - no pegs

How do normal people do their towels? We have an ongoing fight here, one of us pegs them separately so 2 pegs each and the other links them all along the line.

Clarkgriswoldforever Thu 14-Apr-16 17:09:06

Does anyone else hand their washing out and then look at it with an 'ahh' sound and a cuppa in their hand? Just me?

I always hang trousers from the bottom. I cringe when I see it the other way. But it seems all my neighbours must be cringing at me grin

Everytimeref Thu 14-Apr-16 17:10:39

If I ask my DH to peg out clothes I have to go out otherwise we row about him doing it wrong. He just doesnt seem capable of learning the "correct" techniques! !!

SoupDragon Thu 14-Apr-16 17:11:17

I think going out to rehang is a sure fire way to ensure no one else ever does it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now