Looking for advice on my washing machine

(14 Posts)
BigApple11 Mon 11-Apr-16 18:26:42

My washing machine seems to have died. Can't decide whether to look to repair it or replace. It's a basic Bosch, we've had it around 10-11 years, we are a family of 5 (kids 12,6,5) so it's been well used and abused....what would you do?

hillyhilly Mon 11-Apr-16 18:48:09

I'd replace with another Bosch or a Miele if you can afford to, I don't think it's worth trying to repair something that old and it owes you nothing

AveEldon Mon 11-Apr-16 18:53:43

Depends what's broken
If it's just worn out brushes then that's a cheap repair

DurhamDurham Mon 11-Apr-16 18:53:55

Have you cleaned the filter out? whenever anyone in my family states their washing machine has died it's usually just a clogged filter which has blocked and stops the drum going round. You have to unscrew the bottom of the front panel (usually) to get to the filter.
Just trying to save you some money, if it really has died you have my condolences.

MiniMum97 Mon 11-Apr-16 18:55:15

What's the fault?

readingrainbow Mon 11-Apr-16 19:01:46

Depends on the fault, really. We used our washing machine for five years before it finally gave up the ghost - 5 dc, two in cloth nappies, washing going almost twice daily. I thought it was a good run, to be fair. We did have a minor repair a few years ago but it recently died completely when the repair would have cost more than a replacement.

You've done quite well to get 11 years out of yours!!

BigApple11 Mon 11-Apr-16 19:03:08

It's not draining. We've cleaned out the pipes and that front panel bit. Drained it and put pipes back together, it worked again for 3 cycles and has died on me again today...mid cycle...won't rinse or drain!

dementedpixie Mon 11-Apr-16 19:06:11

At that age I'd replace it

BigApple11 Mon 11-Apr-16 19:24:49

Thanks all, think we will replace, it's a total mine field though!! Who knew some washing machines were £1,800?????? (John Lewis, Miele ) shock

readingrainbow Mon 11-Apr-16 19:30:31

We got a Samsung WF90F5E3U4W (9kg drum) for £429 including delivery, been very happy with it so far. They don't have to be that expensive!

TomHaverford Mon 11-Apr-16 19:35:15

Also have a samsung that I can vouch for, cleans brilliantly!

FinallyFreeFromItAll Mon 11-Apr-16 22:33:58

I'd replace.

I have a Samsung 9kg drum too. I really like it and it has 5yr guarantee and brushless motor with 10yr guarantee. I paid £370 (was on offer).

Or really cheap would be beko. They tend to be good quality for the money. I left a 6yr old one behind when left ex and it had always been good. No sign of any trouble with it.

Mom has miele (approx -18yrs old) and said she would opt for something more like my old beko or my Samsung next time. She feels that after 10yrs even the best machines just don't clean as well as they once did. Also an awful lot changes with technology in a few years now, so might as well go for a descent cheapy and replace every 5-10yrs.

FinallyFreeFromItAll Mon 11-Apr-16 22:36:00

*decent not descent no idea why my phone insists decent isn't a word!

Penguinepenguins Mon 11-Apr-16 22:47:20

DP insisted on that one that you can control via an iPad - bloody useless...

best machine I ever had and the one we are now getting is a hot point

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now