Should I pay our Cleaner holiday pay?

(7 Posts)
carthorsespullcarts Sat 02-Apr-16 10:22:32

We have a really great cleaner, whom I value enormously.
She works 4 hours a week for £10. I pay her cash but she does declare it.
I'm wondering if I should offer holiday pay?
As she has primary school aged children she struggles in the holidays so we've agreed that she can come if she has child care but that there's no pressure. If the DC have school things sometimes she swaps the hours around and sometimes doesn't come at all. I'm happy with this because she does a great job when she's here. I do give her a bonus at Christmas.
I suppose this is a roundabout way of saying I'm a flexible employer but equally I don't want to take advantage of her.
Any thoughts?

CiderwithBuda Sat 02-Apr-16 10:29:52

I'm assuming it's £10 an hour? Not £10 for four hours?

With my cleaner if she takes holiday I don't pay her but if we go away I will either get her to come anyway and deep clean or move her day if we can or give her extra another week to keep her money the same.

So for instance this summer we are away for three weeks and will have a dog/house sitter so will still have the cleaner as normal. There won't be as much to do so she will deep clean gradually over the three weeks and give the kitchen, bathroom and utility a normal clean every week.

QuerkyJo Sat 02-Apr-16 11:15:16

Give her what you can afford. Good cleaners are like Gold. I pay £30 for three hours and I always pay whether she is away or when I am. It depends on your financial circumstances but even a small gesture will help her and show her how much you value her.

DanglyEarOrnaments Sat 02-Apr-16 12:24:52

She is self-employed so not entitled to any statutory rights and she should have built these costs into her pricing when she started her business, however ...

Good cleaners are like gold-dust and she is charging a low rate so I personally would do in these circumstances if she is providing a great service at just £10 per hour, it would indeed show you value her and I would leave little thank you notes to her too, these mean the world to cleaners and they really do treasure these.

carthorsespullcarts Sat 02-Apr-16 12:46:41

Thanks for the comments. Yes, £10 per hour.
I think she knows how much I value her, I leave her notes or text her and have recommended her to several people that she nows works for, but maybe I should give her a summer bonus too.

DanglyEarOrnaments Sat 02-Apr-16 13:47:37

Cleaners love receiving great feedback, what I do for the cleaners that work for us is when lovely feedback comes in, I will post it on out facebook page and then share into our private staff facebook group and they are always thrilled with this.

Doing this several times a week really boosts their morale and cheers them.

oxo123 Wed 06-Apr-16 10:01:39

Hi where are you all based? I'm really looking for a cleaner in mill hill NW7 area to come help me out and keep my house clean. Any recommendations?? Please help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now