Veet wax on carpet

(6 Posts)
Ediemccreedy Fri 01-Apr-16 22:56:20

My son knocked over a tub of veet wax onto my cream wool carpet! Has anyone out there dealt with this before, or have any tips on how I can remove it? Or do I just have to accept that the carpet is ruined?

Catastrophica Sat 02-Apr-16 02:50:11

I have removed candle wax from a carpet - it can't be too different.

You need a hot iron and a lot of brown paper - basically you iron the brown paper over the wax and it melts and sticks to the paper, so you will need fresh pieces as it comes up.

I completely removed a red candle which had melted all over a cream carpet. My landlord was impressed (melted by previous tenant).

wowfudge Sat 02-Apr-16 06:55:58

Scrape up as much of the wax as you can before doing anything to remove the last bits. Use a plastic spatula of something that won't damage the carpet - so not a knife.

If the colour of the wax has left a mark after you've used the iron and paper trick (kitchen roll will work too), use a bit of meths on a clean cloth.

legotits Sat 02-Apr-16 07:05:42

Teatowel on top of paper so you don't shag the iron plate.

If you have a posh steam generator type pop to Asda/tesco buy the £6 iron and use lowest setting.

Repeated slow passes are better than letting the hot plate sit on stain.
Because it's hair wax I would use greaseproof paper instead.

I can confirm this method also astonishingly works on tarmac too.

Ediemccreedy Sat 02-Apr-16 11:42:11

Thanks everyone. It's the sticky orange wax but it is water soluble so hopefully I will get it out.

wowfudge Sat 02-Apr-16 17:51:44

In that case, scrape up as much as possible then clean off with original Stardrops in cold or slightly warm water using a white lint free cloth (hot water may fix any stain from the colour and/or cause some shrinkage in the carpet). Don't get the carpet very wet - slightly damp and work from the outside of the stain in to prevent it from spreading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now