Help please! Miele washing machine advice

(24 Posts)
MiniMum97 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:22:31

Washing machine broke last weekend and need to get another one fast! Have done lots of research and am thinking of a Miele mainly because my main priority is reliability. It also needs to do its job well!
I have a couple of questions for any Miele owners out there?...
I have seen some reviews say that some Miele machines don't rinse well - doe tis concur with your experience.
We were thinking of getting one of the £1000 machines (WMF121) which has their power wash feature, an 8kg drum, soft steam drum and a 1600 spin. Anyone used one of these, what do you think?
Miele do another one that's v similar but comes with a 10 yr guarantee (the WMF121 only has a 5 yr) but it doesn't have the power wash (which looks quite good in the Miele video!) - this I can get it for about £135 less - is the powerwash worth that do you think? The WMF121 is also 30%energy efficient but at the amount washing machines use not sure if this is worth thinking about?
Alternatively, I can get one of their Classic, entry level machines for about £5-600. They only have a 1400 spin and a 7kg drum but do you think the larger machines are worth the extra money? Or are the larger machines just more likely to go wrong because they have more bells and whistles?
I do about 7-8 loads of washing a week, sometimes more, and have heavy/large items to wash like sofa throws frequently.
Opinions would be very gratefully accepted!
Thank you!

MiniMum97 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:47:27

*received!

MiniMum97 Sat 02-Apr-16 01:48:40

Bump

mawbroon Sat 02-Apr-16 02:08:26

We have a standard one going strong after about 10 years of heavy use.

Touch wood, but it's only broken once and that was because we dropped it when moving house. The Meile customer service was fabulous when we needed it fixed.

It's a 1400 spin which is less than our old machine, but it's really not an issue.

Tartyflette Sat 02-Apr-16 02:19:55

We have a Miele WD with a 1600 rpm spin, but it does not have a power wash, (it's about 7 years old and cost around£1,000) and are v happy with it. No problems with rinsing. Salesman said it should last a good 15 years, that was what sold it to my DH! He likes to think he's 'careful' grin.
When we had a problem with it 'flooding' (due to massive error on my part) the customer service person on the phone told me how I could fix it myself with detailed instructions so we didn't have to have a call-out. It was out of its five yr guarantee by then. It's nice and quiet too.

MiniMum97 Sat 02-Apr-16 10:39:17

Thank you for your replies!
So if you were buying one today which would you go for:
- the £1000 one with power wash, an 8kg drum, soft steam drum, 1600 spin and a 5 yr guarantee
- the one for a bit less (about £860) with the above but no power wash and a 10 yr guarantee
- an entry level one (£5-600) with 1400 spin, 7kg drum and

MiniMum97 Sat 02-Apr-16 10:40:27

Ooops pressed post accidentally!

And 2-5 yr guarantee.

Thanks!

Lucsy Sat 02-Apr-16 10:42:24

Mine is 14 years old. Was about 1100 I think and has never caused a problem. It's never been moved either though. Great thing. Could never afford another one so I hope lasts for a long time to come.

MiniMum97 Sat 02-Apr-16 10:43:56

The most expensive one is also 30% more energy efficient.

Lalalili Sat 02-Apr-16 10:54:13

I'd go for the 10 yr guarantee one. We have a similar, but older, Miele. It's an absolute workhorse (several washes/day at the moment). No problems with rinsing at all. Was recommended by the repairman when our last machine broke. He rarely repairs Miele machines!

MiniMum97 Sat 02-Apr-16 12:22:56

Thanks Lalalili. Any advances on that?

magimedi Sat 02-Apr-16 13:21:37

My current Miele is about 3 years old & my last one was 19 years old, veteran of 5 moves & I love them.

Have always gone for entry level machine - a repair man once told me to go for either the cheapest or most expensive in any range - stuff inbetween isn't worth the money.

Wolfiefan Sat 02-Apr-16 13:29:24

Which report suggests rinse not good on WM 120. Similar to one you are looking at?
Miele WDA101 cheaper. Much. And a Which best buy!

rabbit123 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:23:17

Our Miele was mid-range at the time. 1400 spin. Cost about £800 I think. It was the lowest priced model with the 10 year gauruntee.

It's about 6-7 years old now and I wouldn't have anything else. All Miele washers are reliable and well built, but you pay more for features. I only use 3 cycles and the extra rinse function so didn't need the top end stuff & wasn't bothered about the auto dosing system thing.

HandbagHelper Sat 02-Apr-16 14:29:27

My Miele is fab -no issues with rinse cycle. I think ours is one up from basic level. Used 8 times a week. 5 years in no issues.

My Mum swears by them. Hers has lasted at least 15 yrs.

BaronessBomburst Sat 02-Apr-16 14:35:18

My Miele was a basic one and is 19 years old. It rinses fine.
I have lots of programme choices but only use a handful; I'm not sure I'd use a power wash.
My only 'regret' is the 5kg drum, although this was standard at the time. There's a few things I can't wash as they don't fit and I've had to use the dry cleaners. The irony of this is that the dry cleaning costs more than buying a new Ikea bedspread. Then I discovered my friend had a 8kg drum Bosch. grin

Missingsleepandthecat Sat 02-Apr-16 14:44:55

We have a 7kg mid range Miele, its 1400 and had a 10yr GTee. Its great, the customer service department were fantastic when something split the lip of the door seal, which actually has been the only problem we've had with it!
I do have a gripe with the detergent drawer and that is because its kind of got like a scale residue on it (soft water area though) and we cant figure out why...
Doesnt affect it though and its proven more than its worth smile

snorzzzzz Fri 08-Apr-16 12:43:16

My sister has the one that was tested on here last year. It came with a 5yr warranty which she extended with Miele to 10 years.

When she rang Miele, the lady told her that as she already had the 5yr warranty they'd extend it for the 5yr price of about £150 instead of £250 (approx), which she opted to pay over 12 monthly installments interest free - she was ecstatic!

The only gripe she has with it is that the 1 hour powerwash won't go down to 30 degrees.

The cleaning is amazing. My 15 yr old washer doesn't cope with capsules and leaves bits all over my clothes at 40 degrees (not surprising really), hers handles them at 20 no problem.

I take a load over to hers every now and then just to give them a thorough clean.

I'd say go for the best you can afford and extend the warranty. When you compare John Lewis's extended warranty for 5 years is the same price as Miele's for 10, it's a no-brainer - especially as you can pay over the 12 months instead of all in one go.

poisonedbypen Fri 08-Apr-16 12:48:55

I have a W1 bought late last year. It is fabulous, but I tend not to use the powerwash as there is always soapy foam left if I use the same amount of powder as in the regular wash (which takes 2 hours for the programme I use, quite a long time, I think), so I always end up rinsing it again. I do like it - it has a 5 year guarantee.

snorzzzzz Fri 08-Apr-16 12:52:29

Poisoned - my sister thought she had that problem, but it seemed to be that the fabric conditioner was left, not soap foam (process of elimination).

She's found she uses a lot less powder and fabric conditioner than she used in her old machine (or I'm using in my current on-last-legs machine).

MiniMum97 Fri 08-Apr-16 12:58:51

Thanks everyone who has posted. Have ordered the cheapest 8kg one that comes with a 10yr guarantee. Annoyingly missed a deal and had to pay £50 more but need a machine and can't wait any longer!! All feedback seems to be positive so although expensive have hopefully made the right decision. Thanks!

HereIAm20 Fri 08-Apr-16 16:45:20

You will love it! I had an irrational love of mine when I first got it and used to go to watch it. They are so quiet. Mine is now 7 years old and have never had a problem with it at all.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 09-Apr-16 08:41:50

I'd go entry level.

I've had mine for 15 years and never had a problem and still like new.

Lalalili Wed 13-Apr-16 16:04:40

Good choice, you'll love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now