Talk

Advanced search

Is my tumble dryer rubbish or is this normal?

(18 Posts)
dreamingofholidays Thu 31-Mar-16 13:06:40

I recently bought new fluffy towels and have to wash them in 2 loads because they're big. The tumble dryer takes forever to dry them though. 2 big bath sheets takes about 2 hours and they're still slightly damp. Does this sound normal or is the dryer slowly dying on me?

wowfudge Thu 31-Mar-16 13:47:55

I've got some bath sheets from BHS and they take a long time to dry. It's just the towels - not the tumble dryer.

camelfinger Thu 31-Mar-16 13:50:03

Ours takes ages, over 2 hours for things to be totally dry, and only a few items at a time. Is it a condensing one? I understand that vented ones may be better.

GooodMythicalMorning Thu 31-Mar-16 13:52:23

yes ages for towels. I try to mske sure I spin them on the highest setting first to make sure as much moisture is out as possible.

dreamingofholidays Thu 31-Mar-16 14:50:47

Mine are BHS towels too and they're very heavy. Must just be that. My old towels dried in an hour so this seemed a long time but must be normal. Thanks everyone.

IpreferToblerone Thu 31-Mar-16 21:35:14

Have you checked the filters for fluff? And another tip, if you put a small dry towel in with them it helps speed up the drying!

rabbit123 Thu 31-Mar-16 22:40:38

Is it a condenser? They take a lot longer than vented. Sensor or timer dryer?

Our sensor condenser takes about 60 - 80 mins to dry a big load of towels on high heat, spun at 1400rpm out of the washer

MunchMunch Fri 01-Apr-16 10:20:53

I've noticed on my fire hazard Indesit that if the button for cotton/synthetics isn't on cotton then then it takes forever to dry them.

Voteforpedr0 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:29:52

It sounds like the filter needs to be cleaned out (not the fluff bit but the big filter ) my dh does this for me when I notice things are taking to long to dry and reduces drying time by quite a bit.

wowfudge Fri 01-Apr-16 13:42:23

Nah - it's those BHS towels. They take an age to dry.

IreallyKNOWiamright Fri 01-Apr-16 19:56:46

Anything in ours takes ages and keeps highlighting that I need to empty it when I don't. Feel like throwing it in a skip😠

Pls try the dryer balls they're great!
Save drying time massively and last forever! Look like white tennis balls.
I got mine from home bargains £3.49 and I've seen the same ones much more expensive.
Worth a try... I do a lot of drying and have really noticed the difference smile

ToastyMcToastface Sun 03-Apr-16 07:13:24

Wow, I'd get a new dryer if I were you, I don't think ours takes more than an hour for anything and we have a 9kg washer so big loads. I love my dryer!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Apr-16 08:25:56

Buy a second hand spin dryer, you'll get over a pint of water out of two towels & they'll dry quicker for it.

FrikkaDilla Mon 04-Apr-16 08:27:47

That's one of the reasons I don't like big fat towels. IKEA towels are the best I've ever had. Great size (wrap around you and stay put) absorbent but very quick to dry.

bluejasmin Mon 04-Apr-16 08:30:23

I second IKEA towels , they dry really quickly .

AmyInTheBoonies Mon 04-Apr-16 09:40:09

Is it a heat pump condenser dryer? They take ages to dry but are v cheap to run, it's just how they are.
My dryer would easily take two hours.

Artandco Mon 04-Apr-16 09:47:24

We have a Miele dryer, every is dry in 45-60 mins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now