Mould in washing machine dispenser drawer

(14 Posts)
maldivemoment Sat 19-Mar-16 09:59:38

Any ideas what's causing it or how to get rid of it? It's not in the compartments that hold the powder/softener, etc. Rather it's on the 'roof' of the dispenser drawer, if that makes sense? So when I remove the drawer completely and look on the upside it's covered it black spots which is proving impossible to clean. If i spray bleach gravity means it just immediately falls in the space below and the same if I attack it with neat bleach and an old toothbrush.

I think this is why my clothes are not coming out smelling as clean and radiant as they should!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

DaphneWhitethigh Sat 19-Mar-16 10:04:20

So this is inside the washing machine once you've taken the drawer out, yes?

I think some form of foaming cleaner that is designed to stay in place is in order. Or a bizarre contraption holding vinegar soaked kitchen roll in place with things wedged underneath it.

And remember to do the occasional 90 degree maintenance wash in future.

Grelton Sat 19-Mar-16 10:04:29

Do you always use your machine on 30/40 degrees? I do a 90 degree wash (empty of clothes) once a month which I believe is supposed to the good for the cleanliness of the machine.

pigeonpoo Sat 19-Mar-16 10:06:59

I regularly wash at 90 and use distilled vinegar instead of softener too... But I still get this problem ? Not sure why it happens

plantsitter Sat 19-Mar-16 10:08:30

Can you tape a sponge soaked in bleach to the affected bit, leave it a few hours and then do an empty hot wash?

Alternatively, if you have to take the drawer out and look up and it won't scrub off there's always the 'forget about it' option...

Fluffywuffyunicorn Sat 19-Mar-16 10:11:39

I just had this in mine. Urgh... I bought so washing machine cleaner from Aldi.Gave it a bit of a scrub. Had an empty wash. And now it's gone

SmellySourdough Sat 19-Mar-16 10:16:25

take out the drawer and wash it. the use a kitchen or bathroom spray and a bottle brush to clean the gunk.
to prevent it you can leave the drawer slightly out when you don't use the washer so it can dry out.

BaronessBomburst Sat 19-Mar-16 10:16:59

The mould grows because it's damp and warm. I take my drawer out regularly and wash it/ flush through the soft rinse bit, and wipe out the bit the drawer goes in. I sometimes use cream cleaner and rinse well.
There's probably mould in the machine too. Have you checked the door seals?
Running a service wash regularly helps, as does drying the seals off and leaving the door open especially if you don't use the machine for a couple of days.
How long have you had your machine? Mine is now about 18 years old and I only really started getting problems in the last 8 or so.

dementedpixie Sat 19-Mar-16 10:20:29

That's where the water comes into the drawer so it is always going to go a bit mouldy. I spray with bleach spray and use an old toothbrush and then wipe with a cloth. You need to do it regularly as it does build back up again

P1nkP0ppy Sat 19-Mar-16 10:24:50

Leave the dispenser drawer open when not in use and it should stop.

maldivemoment Sat 19-Mar-16 16:39:43

Thank you all for your advice. Have tried several of your suggestions already but will persevere. It's also nice to know it not just me!

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Sat 19-Mar-16 16:42:44

You could try mixing some bleach with bicarb and scrubbing that in. That's how I got rid of the (gross) pee stains under the toilet seat. Make sure you ventilate the room though. Then run an empty hot wash.

Fourarmsv2 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:42:20

I take the drawer out and put it in the drum between uses (in garage so not visually an issue).

Arpege Sun 20-Mar-16 08:49:40

I tend to deal with this one by not looking

I can recommend it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now