Talk

Advanced search

Help - dog-wee smell in seal of washing machine!!

(9 Posts)
MamTDM Mon 29-Feb-16 10:55:45

I had to help deal with a pretty hideous situation at the weekend in which, to give the short version, an unexpected death meant that several dogs (who aren't very well housetrained at the best of times) were shut in a house for many many hours before anyone could get in to fetch them out and take them to kennels. One of the things that had to be sorted out was to wash a large quantity of bedding that was completely soaked in dog urine, which I had to bring home and do in my machine, and I think I cocked up in washing it at too high a temperature and sealing the smell into my machine. I used bio washing powder and a double quantity of that Dettol anti-bacterial stuff and washed the bedding twice, but my washing machine stank afterwards. I have since run an empty wash with more bio powder, an empty wash with a load of white vinegar, an empty wash with Dettol washing-machine deep cleaner, wiped down the whole machine with white vinegar and left it open overnight and wiped down the seals with Rug Doctor pet formula anti-urine carpet detergent and left it for hours, and the inside of the machine is OK now, but the rubber seal around the door still smells. What else can I try?? It's a newish machine and I really need to sort it!

AveEldon Mon 29-Feb-16 18:21:36

How hot did you do the empty wash? 90 degrees?

spiderlight Mon 29-Feb-16 18:50:07

One at 60 (with the Dettol machine cleaner), one at 90 (I think) with vinegar, one at 40 with bio powder. Original wash with the wee-soaked sheets was at 90, which I think was my downfall.

spiderlight Mon 29-Feb-16 18:52:30

Grapefruit juice (don't have any lemon and am desperate!) has helped a bit but there's still a definite waft of ammonia about the seal sad

Oh, and just spotted namechange fail. Splendid. Situation is potentailly quite identifying, but never mind!!

AveEldon Mon 29-Feb-16 19:41:34

spray it with bleach and leave for 10 mins before wiping off?

OliviaBenson Mon 29-Feb-16 20:07:46

Soda crystals or bicarbonate of soda are good at cleaning the machine. You need to do it at 90 though.

jazzandh Tue 01-Mar-16 08:55:15

I just cleaned my machine with a new "washing machine cleaner and descaler" by waitrose - it had a blue and yellow liquid and one was used for wiping the seals and the powder dispenser.

There may be similar online, or perhaps some of the neat stuff you use in a dishwasher to clean and descale.

MamTDM Tue 01-Mar-16 09:05:40

Thanks. I'll try bleach spray first and get some soda crystals if that doesn't work (will the pharmacy have them?)

AveEldon Tue 01-Mar-16 13:02:24

Boots or Sains will have soda crystals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now