Talk

Advanced search

teeny tiny hall and utility room

(9 Posts)
Haudyerwheesht Fri 26-Feb-16 12:56:16

Our hall is tiny - just front door then step inside and stairs straight front and doors either side into playroom and living room. We have coat hooks behind the door but that's it. I could REALLY do with somewhere to put school shoes and hats / scarfs etc - any ideas?

Also our utility room is off the end of the kitchen and at the moment in a worktop piled with clutter and then underneath are recycling bins, washer and dog bowls.

I need to find a way of better storing / hiding the stuff on the worktop especially - it includes laundry paraphernalia like pegs / tablets etc, 2 plastic sets of drawers filled with all the kids craft stuff and things like cotton wool and sewing kit etc and also a grill.

Can anyone help? Nothing can really go anywhere else and I'm sick of stuff. I've got rid of a lot of stuff but in the utility room especially I don't have anything I can get rid of - the kids use the craft stuff daily for example....

notagiraffe Fri 26-Feb-16 18:24:11

What's under the stairs? I'd try clearing that space and remodelling it as a shoe and bag storage area.
For the utility room, I'd get one of those big pocket storage things that hang over doors. perfect for pegs, tablets, sewing kit etc, and can also hold stuff like Crocs/flipflops out of season.

DrivingMissLazy1 Fri 26-Feb-16 18:27:34

Have you tried Pinterest, there's usually liads of great ideas on there.

DrivingMissLazy1 Fri 26-Feb-16 18:27:54

*loads

Haudyerwheesht Fri 26-Feb-16 20:05:33

Thanks for replies

Under the stairs is a cupboard but it's not easily accessible so whilst there are most of our shoes and coats etc in there I can't really keep stuff in there we need every day or that the kids need to get themselves.

I've the door thingy is a good idea.

Have looked on Pinterest but most ideas cost £££ or else their version of tiny is palatial compared to mine!!

Molehillfromamountain Fri 26-Feb-16 20:16:22

Google 'under stair drawer storage' some of the ideas are DIY if you're handy like that?
Bags on hooks? Each family member has a hook with a drawstring bag filled with their bits and bobs.

I hate my utility room too...it's the wrong shape and has a trap door to the cellar in there so I can't put anything permanent on the floor. I love those really useful company storage boxes for craft bits though. Have you any wall cupboards in there?

Haudyerwheesht Fri 26-Feb-16 23:18:39

Am not at all handy smile

No wall storage no and have heating controls and fan there ....

Will google the drawer storage now

Thanks

Graceymac Fri 26-Feb-16 23:27:15

Houzz is another great website with lots of ideas. In my utility room I have floor to ceiling cupboards to fit the Hoover, cleaning products, even a slim storage area for ironing board then on other side counter height cupboards and underneath washer, dryer and huge cupboard sized laundry container on wheels to pullout to keep dirty laundry hidden. Just hide everything away. There are great things that can be done to create under stair storage.

attheendoftheday Thu 03-Mar-16 13:03:25

We have a very small hallway, sounds very similar to yours.

I've put a peg on the wall behind the door and hung a woven thing with pockets from Ikea (think it was intended for the bathroom door). There is a pocket for everyone's hat, gloves, scarf as well as fitting torches, dog lead, poo bags and keys.

For kid's shoes I have a flexitub which they get chucked in underneath the coat pegs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now