Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a shower caddy that can be used on tiled wall? Can I drill one on?

(18 Posts)
Jemster Fri 12-Feb-16 08:57:37

In dire need of a shower caddy to hold all bathroom stuff.
Been looking online & see there are ones that can be drilled or stick on ones.
Can the drilled ones be used ont tiles? I think the stick on ones will annoy me if they don't stick!
Can anyone recommend one please?

djini Fri 12-Feb-16 09:01:46

The ikea Stugvik suction cup baskets and hooks are good at staying put (at least in our bathroom) eg m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/50249381/

wowfudge Fri 12-Feb-16 09:45:13

We have the suction ones - have had them for years. They are plastic (don't go rusty) and if you get ones which are deeper top to bottom than they are front to back they will stay on better.

cozietoesie Fri 12-Feb-16 10:06:41

I have one drilled into tiles. (Suction pads annoy me.)

Jemster Fri 12-Feb-16 10:16:58

Cozie where did you get yours & is it straightforward drilling into tiles? I have visions of bits of tile breaking off everywhere!

SpoonfulOfJam Fri 12-Feb-16 11:07:08

I have the ikea one. It's metal, suction cups, three baskets, goes in the corner. It's ideal.

BuddyC4t Fri 12-Feb-16 11:08:52

I have a corner one from ikea which is drilled into the tiles. We had a sucker one but our tiles are too matte so it wouldn't stick.

chemenger Fri 12-Feb-16 11:13:19

We had a suction one which worked fine unless PILs were in the house. They somehow yanked it off the wall multiple times every time they were staying and eventually it stopped sticking. It "just fell off" apparently.

DoreenLethal Fri 12-Feb-16 11:14:46

I had a hooky one for years, just hooks onto the bottom of the shower head holder.

cozietoesie Sun 14-Feb-16 08:41:06

I'm afraid I can't remember where I bought it from although it would probably have been one of the bigger firms on Amazon or eBay - I just looked for a shower caddy that I fancied and one that had holes for screws to go through.

It's straightforward to drill into tiles also as long as you have a decent drill and know how to use it. (As with most things.) I have 3 or 4 items that are on tiled walls - mirror, toilet roll holder etc etc - and they were all put up without incident. It helped, I suppose, that I have standard white tiles and a box of spares. They weren't needed but I'm a bit of a fusspot worrier and I might have paced a little if we were dealing with hand painted Italian things or something. wink

Good luck with your quest.

BuddyC4t Sun 14-Feb-16 09:08:46

My dad always puts a cross of scotch tape on the wall where he wants to drill. Stops the drill slipping apprently

dementedpixie Sun 14-Feb-16 09:10:53

I have a hanging one that hangs on the glass panel of the shower. Had suction ones but they used to fall down

dementedpixie Sun 14-Feb-16 09:11:22

I mean the shower side panel

cozietoesie Sun 14-Feb-16 12:37:52

Interesting tip, Buddy.

I'm lucky in that I have a very competent handyman to do drilling for me. I could do it myself (I've drilled things in the past and have some fine tools including a good drill) but I just have a problem with drilling - and wallpapering for some reason blush - so having him to do anything I have a 'thing' about makes life much easier.

BlackMarigold Sun 14-Feb-16 14:37:03

We didn't want to drill into the tiles, tried various suction and hanging things and eventually got this caddy on wheels. It's perfect, fits neatly into a corner and doesn't take up any showering space.

ILikeToClean Sun 14-Feb-16 18:14:29

We have the simple human shower caddy from Lakeland, no drilling required!

emwithme Sun 14-Feb-16 19:05:24

We've got the Grundtal corner unit from Ikea. Mostly stainless steel, with three deep shelves made of plastic, with holes in so water can drain out, and two hooks underneath. Drilled into the tiles.

I don't get on with suction cups. They just DON'T. It's almost as if they see me and then jump off the walls in terror or something.

sacbina Tue 16-Feb-16 17:29:36

Drilling into tiles is not the problem. Stainless steel ones that go rusty are. Even expensive ones go rusty. Grrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now