Talk

Advanced search

Upright vacuum cleaner recommendations please

(14 Posts)
WellTidy Wed 10-Feb-16 12:13:55

Our vacuum cleaner has broken, again. It is a Dyson, and it is broken maybe four times since we've had it. Unfortunately, its not in guarantee anymore, and I am reluctant to start paying money to repair a vacuum cleaner that has already needed to be repaired four times. So a new one it is.

I am reluctant to buy a new Dyson as I don't have faith in the brand.

Can anyone recommend a good upright please? We have a large-ish house, no pets, and lots of carpet, so a re-chargeable one won't work for us. And my back is too sore to have anything but an upright.

Cheers.

ScoutsMam Wed 10-Feb-16 14:07:59

I have an upright Vax and I loathe it. It exists to not quite do any surface. I have no recommendations other than to avoid them.

MsMims Wed 10-Feb-16 14:12:38

Wrote a long post last night about vacuums - another poster couldn't choose which one to go for.

We have a sebo x4 and love it. Nice long cable too which is good if you're in a big house. We tried top of the range Dysons a couple of years ago and the cable was too short to do some rooms in one go. Had to keep unplugging and moving to a closer
socket which was a PITA.

WellTidy Wed 10-Feb-16 15:45:48

Must found yours post MsMims. I can see that the consensus on that thread is that a Miele Cat and Dog is the best vacuum. Shame is so heavy and relatively expensive. I will look at the Sebo, thanks.

Scattymum101 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:00:40

I just bought a Shark and I LOVE it. I wanted a dyson and hubby talked me into a shark. It's amazing.

NanTheWiser Wed 10-Feb-16 17:17:39

Another Sebo X4Xtra user here - pretty unbeatable IMHO, very good on carpets and as MsMims said, long cable. It uses bags, but these take an age to fill, and are triple walled so very good filtering (they are used in hospitals and commercial premises).

rabbit123 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:20:43

Another vote for Sebo! Ours was a hand me down from my in laws and it's over 20 years old now. It's never missed a beat. I've tried to replace it twice with more modern vacs thinking they'd be even better, but nothing has beat it so far!

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 11-Feb-16 21:16:24

I bought a Vax Reach-something last week and it's flipping brilliant. Very sucky, good hose, huge long cable. It's quite possibly the best hoover I've had and the inventory of dead hoovers includes 3 Dysons and a Miele Cat & Dog. Beware with the Miele C&D uprights that there is an inherent design fault that causes the locking bit in the bottom to overheat and distort if you use the tools a lot (leave it running while locked upright). I had mine inspected by their 'engineer' and was told all about it and that the warranty wouldn't cover it as they class it as misuse. I have lots of roof beams and stuff to hoover so it's not misuse it's normal use. Robbing fcktards. I got less than 2 years out of that £200+ hoover and won't have another.

Artandco Thu 11-Feb-16 21:19:41

Roomba. Robot Hoover, saves your back kids not doing anything

And a Bosch rechargeable cordless upright for daily kitchen crumbs etc

rabbit123 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:32:53

Those Robot vacuums generate very little suction at all. Fine for just picking the surface bits up, but no good for doing a deep clean. And in my experience, the charge on cordless vacs doesn't last long enough.

WellTidy Fri 12-Feb-16 11:26:10

A cordless wouldn't keep its charge long enough to do all of our carpets, and they're really only vacuumed once a week when the cleaner does the whole house. So much as I like the idea, it wouldn't work for us.

A friend has a robot vacuum cleaner, and she also says that it doesn't do a deep cleAn. She is like me, only really hoovering once a week and then all in one go.

Interesting about the Miele. That has really put me off. Thank you for that, as I was really tempted,

Much as it goes against my instincts, I think we will go for another dyson. John Lewis are doing a £130 trade in, and they come with a five year guarantee.

candykane25 Fri 12-Feb-16 11:28:26

Love my cordless G Tech. Anyone who has once that I know also seem to love it. I also have the handheld cordless g tech vacuum well, bought separately so between them they do the whole house.

Artandco Fri 12-Feb-16 12:01:55

Yes the roomba does surface clean, but can do it everyday by itself. Then the cordless if fine for deep clean as you don't have half as much crap to pick up. Ours lasts 60mins per charge

rabbit123 Fri 12-Feb-16 14:46:26

WellTidy, have a look at Sebo uprights. They also come with a 5 year guarantee. Ours is 20-odd years old but has never gone wrong. It's never even needed a belt change.
It's bagged, but the bags last for months. I think I've got 6 months out of ours before. They're top fill and squash all the dirt down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now