Talk

Advanced search

Would a knackered mattress be harder or softer?

(10 Posts)
Pigeonpost Mon 08-Feb-16 23:42:55

Our mattress is 8 years old. It was expensive and amazingly comfortable. These days I am finding it much too hard for me and wake up with back pain every morning. I have put on about 4 stone in those 8 years blush--bloody kids-- which I guess won't help. We turn it regularly but I'm still suffering. Will a mattress topper help or do we just need to accept that it's past its best and I need to try much harder to shift this bloody extra weight?

cozietoesie Tue 09-Feb-16 10:06:51

Depending on its construction, harder but thinner I would imagine. Unevenly. (Years of sleeping on it will compact/knock the stuffing out of certain spots in particular. Hence Lumpiness. sad)

I don't use mattress toppers so I'll have to leave it to others to comment properly on those and will only say that I don't much like the idea of trying to put something new on top of something that's tired and lumpy. I'd bite the bullet and - after 8 years - go for a new mattress.

Pigeonpost Tue 09-Feb-16 14:09:03

Thanks. It isn't lumpy though. We do turn it and flip it regularly so that must have helped with the lumps. I can't remember what sort of construction it is but I am conscious that 8 years is probably the shelf life of a mattress, just need to find the money to replace it now as it cost more than the bed did! Have bought a topper for now just to see if that does help temporarily.

cozietoesie Wed 10-Feb-16 13:05:46

Good luck then - I'd be interested to know how it works out. And Yes - mattresses are expensive aren't they? Probably not as expensive as other things given their importance to our wellbeing but still quite a chunk of cash in a oner.

AJ279 Wed 10-Feb-16 13:09:36

We went into dreams for a look at mattresses, got quoted £1050 for a new one shock went into an independent store and got nearly the same mattress for £275. Expensive but well worth it!

cozietoesie Wed 10-Feb-16 15:08:00

I think many people only replace mattresses if they're stained/dirty or something. It's a false economy to my mind given the length of time we spend on them. (But £1k for a mattress is........Wow!)

There are two difficulties for me - finding out (over more than a 'quick lie' on them) how a mattress suits - I have a dodgy back - and getting rid of the old one. If I could get those two really licked, I'd replace more often than I do.

Lilymaid Wed 10-Feb-16 15:16:20

But £1k for a mattress is........Wow!
Um, not that unusual - if you buy makes such as Vi-Spring you can be paying several £ks. But they are blissfully comfortable and last far more than eight years.

cozietoesie Wed 10-Feb-16 15:22:35

I hear you. smile if I had a bigger budget perhaps. (But I don't, sadly.)

Pigeonpost Wed 10-Feb-16 16:03:04

I have a feeling this one was around the £1000 mark but I might be wrong. And yes, Cozie my concern is how you tell by lying on a mattress in a shop whether one is going to be comfortable all night or not. My topper did seem to help a bit last night. I could always buy another one and be like the Princess and the Pea!

cozietoesie Wed 10-Feb-16 16:25:00

I have an old book with that story illustrated - looked quite astounding. grin

I'm glad the topper helped although I guess it's a new mattress in the longer term. (When I said 'lumpy' by the way, I didn't mean with actual lumps in it - perhaps 'uneven' would be a better description. Especially if you're given (as I am) to lying on one side of it reading or watching a movie. I'm hard pushed, on turning it, to find an edge that has any resilience these days.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now