Talk

Advanced search

Not sure what to do about my cleaner (long, sorry)

(9 Posts)
dustyanswer Wed 03-Feb-16 14:56:08

I've had my cleaner for a couple of years now and she's a lovely woman and a very good cleaner - when she turns up. She has health problems and visa problems so often she'll contact me on the day (after I've spent time tidying up for her) saying she can't come but she can do a few hours in a couple of days, then doesn't turn up then either. Meanwhile I haven't cleaned the house myself because I think she's coming eventually but suddenly she hasn't been for 2 weeks and the house is filthy. If I knew she definitely wasn't coming I'd do the cleaning myself (although I don't really have time and don't do it as well as she does), it's the uncertainty that pees me off. Today she said she'd turn up between 2 & 3 pm and at 3.30 her friend would arrive to help her. I said this was fine as the friend is nice & a good cleaner also (although she's supposed to do mornings as my kids get home from school 3.30). But it's now 2.55 and there's no sign of her (she didn't turn up last week on 2 separate occasions btw so house is filthy). If she is any later than arranged it's going to be difficult to get the supper on because she'll be cleaning the kitchen.

I have a feeling that of all her clients I am the most easy-going (I hate confrontation!) and that she puts them first and fits me in where she can, around them, her health and trips to the embassy. Whenever I have kicked up a fuss she's been v contrite & turned up diligently for a few weeks. Then it all starts again.

Last year I could have got a different cleaner as 2 local friends said theirs both had space for me but I felt bad getting rid of X as I she has had a hard life, she is very trustworthy and, you know, a nice person. But I'm fed up of my house being skanky!!

(BTW I don't pay her if she doesn't turn up so she is losing out financially. I have tried in the past to create extra hours for her to compensate but she never turns up for these either!)

WWYD?

diana97 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:40:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Onlytimewilltell Wed 03-Feb-16 16:06:49

Did she turn up?
I'd tell her you have been cleaning when she hasn't been able to make it and realise you can fit it in and don't need her after all. then look for someone else
If she didn't turn up today I'd just say her services are no longer required.

FeckTheMagicDragon Wed 03-Feb-16 16:08:36

Do we have the same cleaner?

FeckTheMagicDragon Wed 03-Feb-16 16:09:25

Aside from the visa thing, I have a similar problem.

dustyanswer Wed 03-Feb-16 16:43:46

She has turned up, just before 3.30. She says her friend is coming to help; I hope so otherwise she'll be here til suppertime! She was a bit cross because I haven't replaced the hoover as I said (completely forgot as I've had a very busy week - I work from home) although it's usable for now. I've just ordered a new one... I've told her I need to put a chicken in the oven by 5.30.

I know I should replace her but I'm a coward. I used to have a cleaner years ago who terrified & pissed me off in equal measure (she would criticise how I dealt with my children, despite being childless herself) but it took me forever to get rid and I eventually did so by very passive-aggressive means.

feck perhaps we do although I suspect it's a common problem!

Kitchencrayon Wed 03-Feb-16 17:01:59

If her friend is good, could you ask her to arrange to come at times here friend isn't working (assuming she's got free hours) and then to send her friend if she can't come. Explain you understand and sympathise with her problems, that you also need a clean house and you think she can trust her friend not to steal her job in the long term - unlike someone she doesn't know?

Kitchencrayon Wed 03-Feb-16 17:02:40

Sorry forgot to add that you need a clean house AND to plan your time.

dustyanswer Wed 03-Feb-16 18:25:55

kitchencrayon yes that's an idea. It was actually a different friend that turned up today, not one I've met before. They're nearly done now and the house is lovely & clean again. >relaxes slightly<

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now