Any more housekeeping essentials i should know about ?

(27 Posts)
Dearpeople Thu 21-Jan-16 17:14:01

I have just (i know im late ) discovered ecloths ! I ordered cloths and a mop online and im impressed so far .
what have you discovered and loved? what housekeeping revelations have you come across ?
I love cleanliness , order and minimalism in my house but ds2 and dh put paid to that most of the time !

wowfudge Thu 21-Jan-16 18:52:34

Sugar soap for cleaning the kitchen - it's a great degreaser with no horrible chemical smell.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 21-Jan-16 18:55:06

White vinegar for cleaning windows and mirrors.

A ceiling clothes airer - keeps the floor space free of floor-standing airers and clothes dry quicker

SmallGreenBouncyBall Thu 21-Jan-16 18:57:45

a dishwasher

MissBattleaxe Thu 21-Jan-16 18:59:40

a wet microfibre cloth gets my stainless gleaming like new, and you can chuck them in the washing machine afterwards. I got 3 for 99p from Home Bargains.

littlewoollypervert Thu 21-Jan-16 19:00:31

Veet for your hairy plughole wink - sounds rude but it works!

SmallGreenBouncyBall Thu 21-Jan-16 19:00:51

a spatula obviously wink

Turquoisetamborine Thu 21-Jan-16 19:02:09

A Roomba!

Dearpeople Thu 21-Jan-16 19:09:34

my hairy plughole oh how very rude grin

will have to go look what a roomba is !

celeste83 Thu 21-Jan-16 19:19:41

Plug in air freshners are one of mine. Not exactly revolutionary but effective.

catwithflowers Thu 21-Jan-16 20:46:07

Flash magic eraser.

eggsinthefridge Thu 21-Jan-16 20:50:06

Zoflora in with the laundry. I love the smell and it kills all the bacteria.

Shelleymoon Thu 21-Jan-16 20:58:41

Dilute Zoflora in a little spray bottle (pump top). Use with an e cloth for silicon free dusting and a nice fragrance to boot.

ginorwine Fri 22-Jan-16 13:33:03

Open windows daily for a fresh smell .

ncforthe1000thtime Fri 22-Jan-16 20:25:17

I'm a recent convert to microcloths too. Bicarb of soda seems to clean everything, it's better than cif on stainless steel sink. And vinegar on taps. All things I'd heard before but didn't really believe until I'd tried it.

MissBattleaxe Fri 22-Jan-16 22:07:13

wipe the radiators with fabric softener, or stuff a couple of tumble drier sheets down the back of it. Your house is laundry fresh!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 23-Jan-16 08:11:19

Cream cleaner on the cooker hood.

Window cleaner for gloss cabinets.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 23-Jan-16 08:29:25

Steam cleaner for just about everywhere that gets greasy/sticky or is tricky to get at (cooker hood, dishwasher and fridge/freezer door seals, edges of hard floors) also windows.

Vileda squirty mop for quick daily floor mopping, no need for a bucket.

Magic eraser block for fingerprints, stickymarks, all the little jobs that it's not worth getting the steamcleaner out for.

Chottie Mon 25-Jan-16 07:16:01

Whoknows please can you give more details about your 'squirty mop'? thanks

florentina1 Mon 25-Jan-16 08:12:23

Magic eraser for scuff marks, grout cleaning all sorts of jobs.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 25-Jan-16 10:08:00

squirty mop. I keep mine filled with Method floor cleaner that is used neat (and smells gorgeous), so you just squeeze and mop, it's brilliant.

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 25-Jan-16 10:13:26

Fold a set of bed linen and store it in one of its pillowcases

Stainless steel pans looking a bit meh and tarnished? Soak them in a sink full of hot water and laundry detergent powder. Wash thoroughly afterwards.

Chottie Mon 25-Jan-16 20:43:29

Whoknows thanks for that info, hand on heart - is it really, truly as easy to use as shown in the demo?

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Jan-16 20:45:27

What is so good about micro cloths. We have some, they just seem like cloths but squidgier

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 26-Jan-16 12:26:41

Chottie - yes it is as easy as that, I've had mine for several years now. It doesn't do right into corners very well, doesn't clean them very efficiently because the head flexes up a bit at the ends as you press down in the middle, but I guess that's the same with other flat head mops. Edges are ok as you turn it sideways.

Microfibre cloths absorb far more grot and dirt than normal cloths, I can clean my entire car with a couple of damp e-cloths and no bucket. That's the outside of my car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now