Talk

Advanced search

Strongest Smelling Laundry Detergent / Washing Powder / Fabric Softener??

(9 Posts)
BlueSmarties76 Tue 19-Jan-16 15:10:28

Hi,
I really want nice smelling washing as I've noticed items kept in the wardrobe for a long time can start to smell a bit stale (tried air freshener in wardrobe but it smells sweet and horrid)

I use Lenor Unstoppables which are very good but also hideously expensive if you want a strong smell, plus the smell has gone after a fortnight. I've also used Comfort Intense, but this seems to produce no smell at all when used in recommended quantities.

Please recommend a strong smelling (ideally non bio) washing powder / liquid / gel or fabric softener.

wowfudge Tue 19-Jan-16 16:05:05

I suspect you have just got used to the smell rather than it going. If things smell fusty then they might need washing at a higher temperature or with something to kill bacteria.

Vinorosso74 Tue 19-Jan-16 16:22:18

Personally I don't like the strong perfumes. Hate that aisle in the supermarket! Persil smells strong.
Are the things properly dry before you put them away? Maybe the wardrobe needs airing either?

rabbit123 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:02:08

I agree with Vinorosso74, I can't stand stuff that stinks too much. I don't have a set detergent as such, I pretty much buy whatever powder is on offer. But my preference would be Persil Bio & comfort pure.

Those unstoppables things are horrid, they're just packed full of chemical perfumes.

Most softeners & detergents are quite strong smelling. Maybe try & rotate your choices more frequently as its true that you do get used to them.

If your clothes are getting musty, try washing on full cycles, not quick wash and with a powder rather than a liquid. You can also get those scent sachet things to hang in your wardrobe, or make your own.

Borninthe60s Tue 19-Jan-16 20:16:19

Persil non bio powder.

BlueSmarties76 Wed 20-Jan-16 09:01:53

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the problem is the wardrobe. Parts of the house have issues with damp (we can't use the under stairs cupboard for example). The wardrobe is built in and we don't have anywhere else for the clothes to go unfortunately.

Hm, I suppose I could be getting used to the smell, but DH is usually really sensitive to synthetic smells and he agrees the smell is gone after a short while.

I hear what you're saying about synthetic fragrances, however natural fragrances don't tend to be very strong.

I will try Persil, thanks!

rabbit123 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:20:31

BlueSmarties76, that's not necessarily true. You could try leaving a bowl of charcoal or bicarb in the bottom of the wardrobe? Both will neutralise any damp smells. You can make an air freshener with vodka, water & essential oils as I recently found out online, maybe that could help? You could spray it in the wardrobe to lightly scent the clothes maybe?

wowfudge Wed 20-Jan-16 12:02:33

Tea tree oil has antiseptic properties and a fresh, clean smell so perhaps a wad of cotton wool sprinkled with it in the bottom of the wardrobe would help?

Daniella1993 Wed 20-Jan-16 14:10:23

Hi I have found that no matter what detergent or softener I use the smell of it is gone when I use the tumble dryer but if I put the clothes out on the line or on the maiden the clothes smell much nicer. I love strong smelling clean clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now