Talk

Advanced search

1st world problems - cling film

(14 Posts)
Sleepyfergus Wed 13-Jan-16 17:25:07

Does anyone find cling film these days to be not very clingy? Any makes better than others??!

Also, does fancy dispensers for cling film, do you have to use the same brand refills or does any brand/supermarket own fit (assuming length matches?)

rabbit123 Wed 13-Jan-16 17:32:40

I don't know about being less clingy but I know it's getting more annoying to try & tear off in a straight kind without it balling up or sticking together angry

wowfudge Wed 13-Jan-16 19:33:48

We've got a plastic dispenser that I stick in the cupboard. I got sick to death of the card packaging collapsing before the roll was used and the cutter being useless. The dispenser we have was from Aldi and has two sets of spring loaded holders (for different sized rolls). You just stick any old cling film in there. It cuts by shutting the lid and is very sharp - watch your fingers.

Qwebec Thu 14-Jan-16 06:15:02

I have not noticed better brands, but when it won't tear I use scissors, It works suprisingly well.

Sleepyfergus Thu 14-Jan-16 08:40:45

Thanks Wowfudge, off to Aldi I go!

malin100 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:21:29

I got the baco branded one and yes, you do need the branded one to fit so it is more expensive, but it saves me infinite amounts of time and cling film wrestling with the crap ones. I get really angry when dh comes home with non-baco ones and we have to keep it out on the worktop for months while using it up and trying to use the crap cardboard cutter things!

dudsville Wed 20-Jan-16 22:24:31

We don't use cling film, just plastic storage containers. My saying this doesn't help, but I do not notice/miss cling film in my life.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 20-Jan-16 23:00:07

DH is a clingfilm fiend. I got a dispenser from Lakeland and while the film to fit is 30cm rather than 35cm, it's a good price and the whole thing works well with no waste. I think the £5 refill is 150m and it does cling.

stargirl1701 Wed 20-Jan-16 23:18:36

Ditched cling film last year. Using beeswax coated cotton wraps instead.

mummyojm Thu 28-Jan-16 13:14:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissRainbowBrite Fri 29-Jan-16 19:11:31

I use the Baco one for cling film and foil. The dispenser was £2.50 and the 60m refills for the cling film are £1.29 in Home Bargains, I noticed Asda had exactly the same refills for £2.50 - nearly double!
Can definitely tell the difference between the Baco stuff and the cheaper stuff and the Baco rolls do fit better.

FreeButtonBee Fri 29-Jan-16 19:14:25

Ditto the baco brand catering size ones. Have foil and cling. The foil isn't so good as it gets caught in the cutting mechanism

FrostNixon Sat 30-Jan-16 14:45:45

OK - here's the lowdown on the ultimate cling film.

Go to Costco - try their own brand Kirkland (all their stuff is pretty amazing!)

One you have had a roll of that stuff in your kitchen, trust me, there is no going back.

e1y1 Sat 30-Jan-16 22:40:22

Yes agree with frost, although never had their cling film, all Kirkland stuff is amazing, but costco do have their stuff made by the branded companies.

Eg batteries is duracell, fabric softener is downy (usa version of lenor).

So should imagine their cling film will be excellent (and what ever the main branded one is in the states, as all kirkland stuff is usa manufactured).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now