Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a water filter fitted under the kitchen sink?

(12 Posts)
stirling Mon 11-Jan-16 17:36:23

Hi,

I'm trying to find out about water purity as opposed to water softeners. I've read that hormones are not filtered out of regular tap water. That worries me a lot more than some of the other gunk I know can be filtered further either with a brita jug or under the sink installation.

At the moment I'm spending a lot on bottled mineral water . I've called a company and the cost of their filters ranges from 100 up to just under 700.
Do you think any filter exists that can remove hormones from tap water? Would boiling filter water destroy the 'hormones'?

Sorry I have absolutely no scientific knowledge and I realise that if I ask the water filter company they'll probably say yes just to push a sale.

Thank you in advance for any info

stirling Tue 12-Jan-16 08:13:28

Anyone?

3perfectweemen Tue 12-Jan-16 11:53:57

My parents and few aunts and uncles have water filter fitted under sink.. they swear by it and my dad can always tell the difference in his tea if I use the normal tap water.

stirling Wed 13-Jan-16 14:17:35

Thanks 3perfect!

itallsucks Wed 13-Jan-16 14:24:44

I have one and it's OK as long as you remember to change it regularly (which I never do!) and as long as the clips holding it in place don't stretch as you then end up with a nice puddle. We only have one as the MIL brought it for us as a moving present.

I don't know if there is a way of removing hormones from the water, sorry.

stirling Wed 13-Jan-16 14:58:00

Ok..thank you though..

3perfectweemen Wed 13-Jan-16 19:18:29

The man that changed the water cylinder told me it removes hormones from the water.

Lasvegas Tue 19-Jan-16 13:22:36

use a britta filter under sink, we have 3 taps, one id for filtered water. It tastes great but not sure if he removes hormones

Qwebec Wed 20-Jan-16 00:02:12

found an article with different types of water filtration - even a water generator amazing! www.healthychoices.co.uk/water_filtration.html

SuckingEggs Wed 20-Jan-16 00:04:33

Don't get an electric one - they're shit.

My parents have a salt one and it is fantastic.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 20-Jan-16 00:27:03

That article describes how they work pretty well but the science is a bit poor, all that stuff about pure water being acidic, well it can't be, by definition. However if it is very slightly acidic because it has picked up minuscule amounts of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere it's so slight that it will do you no harm. Lack of minerals may be a legitimate concern though.

ladynyland Tue 26-Jan-16 10:39:32

Hi, I had the same worry and we had an RO fitted (reverse osmosis system) and I am told it removes the larger hormones entering the water system. I also have a double filter, one filter that removes everything so the water is completely pure and then a second filter that the water travels through and puts the good minerals back in to the water.
On top of that I also have a water softener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now