Talk

Advanced search

How to make your house smell like yours

(10 Posts)
Scattymum101 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:40:51

We moved almost 3 weeks ago and the house still smells of the people who lived here before us.
I've tried scented candles, leaving windows open to air, plug ins etc and keep thinking it smells better until we go out and then when we come home it smells exactly the same!!!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 09-Jan-16 15:46:13

Five cats, house rabbit, a hard working man and some sweaty teens?

It actually smells of fresh air and dettol at the moment but that won't last.

Blueprintorange Sat 09-Jan-16 15:47:38

Plenty of air is the best way really, and give the carpets a good clean or replace them. We also washed down the skirting and doors which helped a lot.

gillyginger Sat 09-Jan-16 15:49:40

Not to sure, but I would do loads of washing with lovely smelling conditioner and hang round house, wax polish anything wooden, shampoo hall carpets, lots of cooking favourite meals and baking,

OurBlanche Sat 09-Jan-16 15:50:08

Do a load of washing and hang it up indoors.

Even in this weather, air the house every time the rain stops smile

Or do what my DSis does: make your favourite meal, get distracted and burn it. That'll definitely get rid of any reminder of the previous occupants. grin

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Sat 09-Jan-16 15:52:03

It will, give it time. I love some days that my house smells of clean washing, some days it's scented candles, other times it's eau de (wet) chien which isn't so nice.
After nearly ten years some days I open the door and it doesn't smell like our house. It's better when I have fresh flowers in vases over spring and summer though. Keep opening those windows.

gillyginger Sat 09-Jan-16 15:52:54

Actually burnt toast is supposed Ito be a good neutraliser , sometimes do this after I clean the oven to get rid of the chemical smells

Scattymum101 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:12:23

Thank you. I've shampooed the carpets downstairs and new carpets coming for upstairs on Tuesday which I'm so excited about.

I've tried the washing trick and it's helped, as had the slow cooker. Might try shake and vac for downstairs too. It's absolutely freezing just now so I really can't open the windows too much today as we're all so cold as it is but I do think air is going to be the best way.

Might try some reed diffusers too.
May have to bite the bullet and by some better quality ones and scented candles to get rid of this weird smell.

TPel Sat 09-Jan-16 16:16:28

I would wash all walls and woodwork too.

Scattymum101 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:27:32

Oh god to have the time to do that lol. I've not even managed to properly clean all the bathrooms from top to bottom yet. Been decorating, building furniture, have an 11 month old and 3 year old and have just gone back to work after mat leave.
It's driving me crazy that I don't have the time to do everything I want to do to make the house nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now