Talk

Advanced search

I'm moving into a brand new house

(14 Posts)
RudeElf Fri 08-Jan-16 22:46:13

and cant wait
It is carpetted throughout apart from bathrooms and kitchen. I have a hairy dog but the kitchen is so big and we will be mainly living in it so he can be contained in the kitchen.

I need all your tips for keeping the house as new and clean as i can for as long as i can (it is a rental) . I am moving from an old house that has lots of knooks and crannies that make it hard to keep as clean as i would like so i am ridiculously excited about this new house.

I have a henry hound numatic hoover which is great for the dog hair but my numatic head has broken and i am wondering if i should replace it (not sure of cost) or if there is a better animal hoover?

Are there any "thinking outside the box" tips that you have discovered and want to share with me?

PurpleWithRed Fri 08-Jan-16 22:52:23

Get a cleaner. I couldn't be trusted with a brand new house. Or you could hire DH, but he probably wouldn't let any of you in the house as you might touch something.

RudeElf Fri 08-Jan-16 22:58:30

As much as i would love to get a cleaner i just couldnt bring myself to do that, for the very simple fact that I am a cleaner grin i am very happy to do the cleaning, i'm just wondering if there are any nifty tricks i can use to keep it from getting grubby and worn.

Nottodaythanks1 Fri 08-Jan-16 23:01:06

After the third or fourth mark on the wall, you'll stop caring, I promised....

I moved into my dream new build flat a year ago and barely bat an eyelid when my son drops something on the floor or marks a wall...

RudeElf Fri 08-Jan-16 23:01:27

I say i'm happy to do the cleaning, i'm actually excited to do the cleaning in a house that will actually look clean when i'm done rather than still know there is dust behind those heating pipes no-one has managed to get at for 30 years hmm when i'm working my favourite houses to clean are the newer/better maintained houses because they do look spotless when i'm done.

Artandco Fri 08-Jan-16 23:07:35

Miele cat and dog if you can afford

Twinklefuck Sat 09-Jan-16 08:09:07

I live in a new build (4 years now) and they are pretty easy to keep looking brand spanking new I'm lying I have two dc's
Keep the Hoover and steamer close to where you'll mostly be using them the most and create a routine when you move in and know what needs doing and when. Sounds horribly simple but it works. If something looks like it needs doing just do it as and when you see. Keep odd socks to clean between the banisters, if grout looks discoloured dab a little bleach on a tissue and leave overnight, air out once a day with windows open, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know so I'll stop grin

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jan-16 11:32:09

I think I'd suggest that you try to relax a bit about it. Having a new house can be a little like having a split new car - You know, when you worry about it being outside because it might 'get some rain on it'. wink

I live in an old house (currently at that interesting stage when people are ceasing to call it 'old fashioned' and starting to call it 'period') and it bears a good few honourable small scars so I'm comfortable about living in it. I keep it clean and do all the required maintenance - and I'm assiduous about that - but I don't become anxious if there's eg a small knock on some paintwork. I know it will be taken care of in the fullness of time so I let it wash over me mostly.

rabbit123 Sat 09-Jan-16 11:40:36

How big is the house? For all carpeted, I'd strongly recommend getting an upright vacuum. We've got a Sebo and it's been very reliable and a fantastic cleaner.

The upright will cut vacuuming time in half compared to the cylinde

specialsubject Sat 09-Jan-16 11:47:44

remember that it will attract wear and tear and you don't get penalised for that.

given that your landlord knows you have a dog - as long as it doesn't excrete on or chew stuff, and you de-flea when necessary, then the aforementioned weapons-grade vacuum should be all that is needed.

also - if it is a new build it will exude water for some time as it dries out.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jan-16 12:06:24

Given that there's lots of carpet, how about a robot vacuum, rabbit, if funds permit?

(I'll confess to loving vacuum cleaners and I'm currently slavering over the thought of one of those.)

rabbit123 Sat 09-Jan-16 12:28:50

I've only used a robot vac once, but the friend who owned it said its great for picking up bits but doesn't have much suck, so you still need to get the proper vacuum out every week or so.

RudeElf Sat 09-Jan-16 13:35:27

Thanks all.

Its a 4 bedroomed semi detached house. The landlord knows all about the dog and has met him and very happy to have him, he is 6 and well beyond the chewing or house accident stage.

I've had a robot vacuum on my wishlist for a while now and think this could be the time to go for it. But yes i will still need a normal vacuum too. Interesting to know that an upright might be the better choice. Ive never had an upright before. So will have a browse of those.

I think i'm just so keen to keep it as new because i've really missed that brand newness of my first home and am looking forward to having and maintaining that again.

also - if it is a new build it will exude water for some time as it dries out.

do you mean with wet walls/condensation? How long will that last? I have a dehumidifier and some small damp traps.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Jan-16 14:30:32

It depends on its real age, weather conditions/protection etc during construction and since, construction methods - so many things. (Think of the amount of water in concrete and mortar for a start.) I'd be prepared to use the dehumidifier if needed. It's possible you might get away with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now