Talk

Advanced search

Is this my fluff filter?

(26 Posts)
Bambooshoots14 Wed 06-Jan-16 13:10:35

I never knew washing machines had fluff filters until MN

Is this mine? If so how do I get it out? It doesn't move at all

MoreTeaPenguin Wed 06-Jan-16 13:14:41

Yup, that looks like the filter, unscrew the white bit (anticlockwise) until it doesn't unscrew anymore then pull it out. Put a towel down on the floor beforehand, smelly water will come out if it's anything like ours

MoreTeaPenguin Wed 06-Jan-16 13:15:42

The little hose on the left can be used to drain it beforehand in a less messy way I think, though ours doesn't work

Bambooshoots14 Wed 06-Jan-16 13:17:52

I assumed it would twist but I can't get it to move at all. I'll try with a bit more welly!

MoreTeaPenguin Wed 06-Jan-16 13:19:19

Ours unscrews, so I assume yours does too, I am in no way qualified! Could you google the model number for an instruction book to be sure?

AIN Wed 06-Jan-16 13:19:51

What? Do all washing machines have these?

Bambooshoots14 Wed 06-Jan-16 13:52:59

Apparently so! There should be a little flap on the front

DeathMetalMum Wed 06-Jan-16 13:58:11

Yep it's the filter I'd have a couple of old towels spare and there will be water in even if you drain it in experience. It is really tricky to unscrew but once it budges slightly I'd go slow otherwise there could be a big gush of water. All washing machines have them afaik. Ours always tends to have a few hair bobbles and clips in when we empty it.

whatdoIget Wed 06-Jan-16 14:01:27

Mine was really stiff and I had to use a pair of pliers to grip the middle bit so I could unscrew it. You need to put a towel down to catch the water. It will unscrew anti-clockwise

whatdoIget Wed 06-Jan-16 14:03:30

<slaps forehead>
So THAT'S what the little round but on the left is for. Thanks MoreTeaPenguin smile

whatdoIget Wed 06-Jan-16 14:09:39

I could really have done with knowing that before I had to drain the washing machine when it stopped in the middle of a cycle because the pump was stuck

chemenger Wed 06-Jan-16 14:10:00

Yes to checking with the little hose that as much water as possible has drained out, there will still be some left which will come out when you open the filter. The first time I opened mine it was very stiff, so you may need to use pliers, like whatdoIget says to get it started. It will probably be too close to the ground to get anything under it to catch the water, but if that was possible you could try a shallow plastic box. Otherwise a large towel under the area before you start. I try to jam the towel under the machine as much as possible to stop the water running under it. If you are doing this because you think it is blocked try and have a look in to where the filter comes out with a torch to check for tissues, colour catcher sheets and stuff that doesn't come out with the filter element, this has caught me out a couple of times.

sandylion Thu 07-Jan-16 22:16:43

Bamboo did you get it off? Had the same trouble and broke the bloody filter lid! Still not open though! Is yours beko mine looked exactly the same!

Wagglebees Fri 08-Jan-16 00:40:14

Well, you learn something new on MN everyday.

I'm going to have a look at mine and resist faffing with it until the morning. that's what she said

Wagglebees Fri 08-Jan-16 02:00:54

Found mine. It's a Bosch and had a little back hose with a stopper on the end and a larger round cap. Drained it a bit using the hose and then twisted the cap anti clockwise and a load of water came out. Nothing inside other than the water though which I guess is a good thing but I was secretly disappointed.

whatdoIget Fri 08-Jan-16 02:45:22

There was loads in mine. The first time there was a tangle of hair and thread that had stopped the turny but inside from turning (technical term), and the second time I looked in there was the plastic cover off the handle of a pair of scissors, and an unidentifiable elastic toggle thing. I assume it was off a jacket or pair of tracksuit trousers but hadn't noticed any missing slattern

florentina1 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:17:08

When you get it undone, be sure to have some old towels handy. Ours spurts quite a bit of water out.

Serafinaaa Fri 08-Jan-16 12:37:05

If it won't turn then check there is a screw in it. There is in mine! I have to remove the screw before I can twist it.

MaisieDotes Fri 08-Jan-16 12:40:15

There's always coins in mine, even though I check pockets before washing confused

Wagglebees Fri 08-Jan-16 14:20:13

Mine was just clean water. sad Dissappointed!

Is it just the little compartment bit after you untwist the big cap? Or have I looked in the wrong bit?

Bambooshoots14 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:39:22

sandy no I didn't get a chance to look again and I'm now on holiday. Yes it's beko

I assume there's a screw as looking at it I couldn't see even if it did turn how it would come out

BubsandMoo Sun 10-Jan-16 12:55:05

Those of you who are seasoned fluff filter empties, how often do you check it?

Been in this flat 2.5yrs, never checked mine. Can't open it, I tried once and then forgot about it! Will ask DP to have a go.

whatdoIget Sun 10-Jan-16 13:00:58

I only checked mine when it stopped working

SweetAdeline Sun 10-Jan-16 13:06:39

Mine is really hard to screw back in properly and it's impossible to tell if it's watertight until you use it again so it's worth being prepared with towels ready ahead of your next wash.

SecretSpy Sun 10-Jan-16 13:13:47

Its not like a tumble dryer, you don't need to check it routinely. I had to get a YouTube video up to work mine out. I couldn't get the lid off either because a foreign body was stuck in it . Turned out there was a reason my machine kept refusing to spin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now